Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antibiotics Post SHTF
19 September 2013, 11:28,
RE: Antibiotics Post SHTF
HL,

I agree but I think we all agree that our medicines won't last long. We need to have ways of replacing them before the medicines run out. There are not that many options for replacing them available to us. Herbal, imo, is the only viable option.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2013, 11:32,
(19 September 2013, 11:21)Highlander Wrote: I dont think it makes a lot of difference, as RS said if its the only medication you have, then you are going to take it none the less.

A drug is not going to turn into something that is going to harm you after a `best before date`, all its going to do [ if anything] is loose some, or all of its effectiveness

Yes - the only caveat I would add to that is my comment about Tetracycline which gets positively harmful.
19 September 2013, 11:37,
the trouble with anti biotics is that over use has resulted in "super" bugs and even in moderate use they kill your good bacteria as well as the bad ones. a good thing(if you can) is too wean yourself of all drugs that are not life threatening, I myself have cut down on all medication and the only pill I am taking is for my blood pressure and that wouldn't kill me if it was no longer available. also post SHTF our diet and lifestyle would be so different, instead of the sedentary lifestyle most have now we would be physically active and after a while we would be much fitter too.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 September 2013, 11:38,
Herbal? Also homeopathic?

The problem with both these approaches is the lack, imho, of proven efficacy.
By by proven I mean lab proven by double-blind peer reviewed testing.

Some herbal remedies I swear by. They work wonders. I'm particularly thinking about Ecinacea etc.
Others such as Valerian as a calmer, well "bleh". Give me some valium darling.

Even more difficult with homeopathic. Some people, particularly scientists, think it's voodoo but I reckon they work and I think I understand why.

Having said all this, I will still try and get supplies of Antibiotics and stock em up.
19 September 2013, 11:47,
RS, Totally agree.

I see herbal and Homeopathic as the same thing and herbal is easier to spell. Is there really a difference?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2013, 11:55, (This post was last modified: 19 September 2013, 11:57 by bigpaul.)
ALL medication had a natural base before they started making them from by products of the petro chemical industry, all we would be doing is going back to a more natural remedy.

my problem with the doctors is that they give us all these drugs which only treat the symptoms but not the underlying cause and they ALL have side effects...just read the paper bit that comes in the box with your medication.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 September 2013, 12:13,
(19 September 2013, 11:28)Skean Dhude Wrote: HL,

I agree but I think we all agree that our medicines won't last long. We need to have ways of replacing them before the medicines run out. There are not that many options for replacing them available to us. Herbal, imo, is the only viable option.

I completely agree
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 September 2013, 15:38,
Before 1945, after 2 million years of working with natural remedies, Pneumonia was the #1 killer in the U.S.

Now they give you a bottle of amoxicillin and send you home. In three days to a week you are back at work.

Herbal remedies are not the answer, they are something to give a person as you watch them die.
19 September 2013, 15:45,
post collapse when all the modern drugs are either used up or spoilt, we will all HAVE to use herbal/natural medicine, there wont be any other option.
19 September 2013, 16:15,
Options that do not work are not options.

Welcome to herbal medicine and the technology of the 19th century.

http://mappinghistory.uoregon.edu/englis...39-01.html