Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does It Mean To Be A Modern Survivalist?
19 September 2013, 21:47,
What Does It Mean To Be A Modern Survivalist?
Hey guys, I thought you would like this article...kind of a manifesto for preppers and survivalists.

Quote:Modern Survivalism is more than just prepping. When most people think of prepping they think about food storage, guns and ammo and bugout bags. While all these things are important aspects of modern survivalism, they don’t define it. Modern Survivalism is a way of life. It is a decision that we’ve made to remove ourselves from the shackles of dependency that has been used to brainwash American society for over a hundred years. It’s about getting back to basics, re-learning the skills that kept our ancestors alive while responsibly taking advantage of technological advancements to continually improve our lives and the lives of others.

Modern Survivalists understand the fragility of the world we live in. They understand that our food, water and power supplies are a delicate web that can be disrupted without warning. We prepare to not only survive without these systems, but to continue our lives and thrive whether the conveniences are there or not. Modern Survivalists understand that there are thousands of threats to our way of life every day, both big and small and actively work to mitigate those threats in any way we can.

You can read the rest here...
19 September 2013, 21:59,
RE: What Does It Mean To Be A Modern Survivalist?
I see survivalists as a different breed to a prepper,.. the US is full of survivalists, where as there are very few in the UK

A prepper, is not just someone who preps for the pandemic, or the social unrest, or the lack of fuel and so food,... but someone who also preps for old age, or a job loss.... a survivalist would never prepare him/herself for such things

A survivalist is someone who knows how to live off the land, a prepper is someone who learns to farm the land

This is not to say that both breeds cannot learn from each other, if we bug out, its good to be able to take a leaf from the survivalists book

But I do think, that in this county at least, they are two different types of person
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 September 2013, 23:25,
i've always thought of myself as a survivalist but not in the hairy arsed wander of into the wild blue yonder with nothing but a pointy stick but more the kind that takes his seat at the rear of aircraft/checks out the muster stations when he gets on ferries and won't get in a car with someone i think has been drinking kind of way....its just a state of mind with me and its alway's been that way.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 September 2013, 23:37,
A prepper is simply someone that does not want to face the fact that they are a survivalist or have the term applied to them due to some imagined stigma.

A chicken can be in a battery cage or it can be free range, it's still a chicken
20 September 2013, 08:39,
Good article.

Thanks for pointing us to it ( although I could not open the link you gave.

Here's another link in case anyone else had the same problem as me:
http://ready4itall.org/what-does-it-mean...rvivalist/

I like the philosophy and ethos, of this article. It is quite close to my own way of thinking. I prep to Survive by being self sufficient in as many was as i can manage, taking personal responsibility for my own future and that of my family. It matters not if I label myself Self sufficient, a Prepper, or a Survivalist.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

20 September 2013, 08:44,
Yup, agree with pretty much all of the above.

My guess is that most of us have been leaning to self sufficiency/survivalist/prepper for quite some time without even knowing it.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!