Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News section
19 September 2013, 22:28,
News section
SD,... your post on the main site has prompted this suggestion again,..sorry..Dodgy

In it you talk about gathering information, and adapting your preps as different situations arise

Thats great, of course I completly agree with that, but I dont see a difference between gathering information from a fello prepper, or from a news source,.. a prepper can only give his opinion, where as many news items are generated by people whos job it is to gather information.

I think I know where your reluctance to include news items come from,.. many of them are false, some are simply missleading, and many of them we couldnt possibly prep for anyway.

....but on the same score, we need to understand which way the world is going, how world affairs is/are effecting this country, ...............does a war in `x` part of the world going to effect the oil and the transport here which could lead to food shortages for us all?.......

I am wondering if we cant have the best of both worlds, could we have a news section where members can post any news items that they see as important, but that no-one can reply to,.. the item is simply there to read only

this way, its possible that we can reduce the blind spots that you refer to in your main site article
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 September 2013, 22:43,
RE: News section
Good thought HL but I believe it would drift over into this main forum area and we end up at square one, whilst the rule is frustrating its the rule NTL ........if you do as I do ......seek out alternative news reports ,and that changes the way you adjust your prepps go with that....and just keep it to yourself or PM lt to the people you think will benifit from that info.
19 September 2013, 23:42,
(19 September 2013, 22:43)Straight Shooter Wrote: Good thought HL but I believe it would drift over into this main forum area and we end up at square one, whilst the rule is frustrating its the rule NTL ........if you do as I do ......seek out alternative news reports ,and that changes the way you adjust your prepps go with that....and just keep it to yourself or PM lt to the people you think will benifit from that info.

That was also my one fear, that people would read the news item and then go into the main part and repeat it,... but then it would become more of a discussion about a situation,...without the news link.

I dont know, maybe there is no answer other than SDs rule,.. which I can live with, its just that something may happen on a local level, something that many preppers would never have a chance of seeing,.. but a warning may be worth something

Keeping it to ourselves is also a suggested option
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 September 2013, 00:16,
or you could do what I keep suggesting but nobody listens which is take the main content of the news article and then write a post on what you are doing to counter this threat.

I keep reading about Polar Shifts and am really concerned that my preps don't cover it. I don't think I am doing anything to counter this threat. Does anyone think it is actually an issue and what are they doing to mitigate against the risk?

But no need to keep on about the subject every time there is a new bit of news unless it adds something that will aid us. It's on our radar now so people will be aware.

And I'm not interested in topical news even though it is a threat. We know it is. No need to go on every time the BBC posts about it.

The Syrian Rebels have taken up posts 20 metres nearer the border. How do you think that will effect us in the UK?

You could put;
I think this Syrian business is going to cause us issues in the UK because it will cause interuption of the supply of oil from the Middle East. I'm stocking up on cans of oil anything else I should include?

Turn it into something useful to us instead of just a link and some journos fearmongering words.

I still don't see any reason to replace the news or humour section which had little prepping humour at all.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin