Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying Land
20 September 2013, 11:40,
RE: Buying Land
I think it makes sense to buy somewhere, for those who are in a position to do so. They will be able to set up a retreat more for how they want it. You could prepare the ground for the home, probably even build a bunker underground, if you knew how to. The only major problem would be a newbuild project. However, if you could buy a place that has a building already on it, you could set up your log burner, plant your willow lines, hide caches, fill shelves, fortify doors and windows, store ammo, and get everything ready for when you are to arrive there.

If you are unable to do so, you could find somewhere, like BP has, and hide caches in the area, like BP probably has, and prepare the general area for when you are likely to need to 'acquire' the property. It will not be possible to secure it in quite the same way, solar panels, etc, but you'll still be able to sink a lot of equipment into caches. You could even start planting trees in the area, damn right you should stick willow stalks into the ground, and apple seeds (a bit of healthy littering here and there with apple cores haha), as well as strawberries, black berries, and even stinging nettles! Then when you move in, you have the resources near at hand.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 September 2013, 11:41,
(20 September 2013, 11:22)Sunna Wrote: if the shtf why camp just take over a empty home/farm if not empty judge weather its worth fighting for if not move on untill you find what you want

So you are fully planning to attack and kill to get what you want Sunna?

This is valid survivalist prepping strategy of course. But to displace people from their home in these circumstances you will either murder them in the process, or condem them to death living in the wild with no provisions ( for you will have taken them over, most notably their shelter)

Serious question: On what basis will you judge if something is worth fighting for?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

20 September 2013, 11:43,
(20 September 2013, 11:41)Lightspeed Wrote:
(20 September 2013, 11:22)Sunna Wrote: if the shtf why camp just take over a empty home/farm if not empty judge weather its worth fighting for if not move on untill you find what you want

This is valid survivalist prepping strategy of course. But to displace people from their home in these circumstances you will either murder them in the process, or condem them to death living in the wild with no provisions ( for you will have taken them over, most notably their shelter)

Serious question: On what basis will you judge if something is worth fighting for?

unless they are already dead of course?? or the place has been empty for years!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 September 2013, 11:49,
(20 September 2013, 11:43)bigpaul Wrote:

Yes, if its abandoned, its fair game BP

I'm interested in the thought process of selecting a property to take over from its current occupants.

This will happen, for sure. I expect to be in the occupant position, so I'd like to understand what might make me look a soft target? ..Then I'll prepare against it :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

20 September 2013, 11:52, (This post was last modified: 20 September 2013, 12:10 by bigpaul.)
(20 September 2013, 11:49)Lightspeed Wrote:
(20 September 2013, 11:43)bigpaul Wrote:

Yes, if its abandoned, its fair game BP

I'm interested in the thought process of selecting a property to take over from its current occupants.

This will happen, for sure. I expect to be in the occupant position, so I'd like to understand what might make me look a soft target? ..Then I'll prepare against it :-)

depends on the event, have they prepared? or are they of the sheeple variety? have they succumbed to lack of food/water, are they sick?

I hasten to add this is not in my plans, getting into a firefight with desperate occupiers does NOT feature in my plans.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 September 2013, 12:33,
just a thought,... It would be very nice to find an empty property with a cellar,... if the cellar was liveable, you could then carefully drop at least part of the house onto it.

What you end up with is a hidden place under ground, and a completely un-inhabited house above,... no-one would bother with it
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 September 2013, 12:51,
If I bought some land (at least 3 acres, with water source and woodland + remote location,) I would build an oehler house. Look up $50 dollar underground houses. They can be built in around 6 months, and are almost invisible from both air and ground when finished, and are much faster if you do the digging with an excavator. You could travel up to the site when convenient, do a bit of building, then go back to your normal life when the bills need paying. You wouldn't need to arrange it for human habitation until you needed it.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
20 September 2013, 14:16,
Temporary stables are modular and can be reconfigured quite easily and its not unheard off for the attached tack room to have all mod con's then there the below ground portion that i have alluded too...who knows how deep or how far that might go???????.....sadly i don't have the funds right now(child maintainence..3yrs left to run) but there may be an inheritance in the not to distant futureCool
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
20 September 2013, 17:11,
From what I gather many people are intending to "blend in" by having their property look as if it is abandoned.

While others here are actively looking for abandoned property to inhabit, loot, scavenge.

Is that not a contradiction in logic guaranteed to end in comflict?
20 September 2013, 18:14,
I was thinking the same MB, but couldn't think of a good way to explain it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin