Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Water To Store?
25 September 2013, 17:43,
RE: How Much Water To Store?
i'm only going to have approx 400ltrs in water bob 150ltrs in 25ltr containers and approx 200ltrs of grey outside in a waterbut...750ltrs in total, but i don't think usage is going to be especially high in a bug in stance , i have planned to resuply and dispose of waste daily(situation permiting) early hours of the morning from a local brook 150m away obviously the waste is going elsewhere.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
25 September 2013, 18:19,
There is also some confusion arising from definition of "bug in" not being uniform.

Some consider "bug in" as being sealed in their urban flats with no outside excursions.

Others consider it locking the doors during daytime and emerging to look, loot and dump rubbish at night.

Others consider it staying around the house and not traveling farther than the nearby fields.

My own situation is considerably different from most of the members here, in that I live in a rural area, face no looting threats, have 2500 gallons in underground tank and live 200 yards from a two mile long lake.

The only reason I can imagine that I would be confined to the house for more than the duration of a good snow storm would be in hazmat situation, epidemic, or nuclear war, either of which would probably kill me and everyone else before the food ran out.

Any other situation would see me out and about the neighborhood more than I am now.
25 September 2013, 18:20,
(24 September 2013, 18:52)Lightspeed Wrote:
(24 September 2013, 18:26)Steve Wrote: Let's not forget that it's difficult to grow food without water. My own storage will get to 10,000 litres next year, enough to keep the animals alive and the polytunnel OK through a short drought.

That's called a small lake, isn't it Steve? :-)

It's only 1mm of rainfall on 1 hectare, wouldn't last long if I had a field of spuds or cereal and there was a proper drought.

Even a smallish amount of water can mean the difference between your plants and animals surviving until the next rain or not. I might dig a pond for the pigs.
25 September 2013, 18:25,
That really brings home how precious water is steve.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580