Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable Radio Fundamentals Training
24 September 2013, 02:22,
Portable Radio Fundamentals Training
The 2-way radio fundamentals course used for Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) is available for download at the Federal Communications Commission's Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau Clearing House at the URL:

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/clearinghouse/cert.html

Part 1 is oriented towards the Family Radio Service for the simple fact that most civilian volunteer CERT team members are not going to be licensed radio amateurs, but the still need to know how to use unlicensed services such as FRS (similar to your PMR446, but uses the GMRS interstial simplex channels in the 462 MHz band) for communications within their CERT team. Part 1 includes a simple exercise using single channel, direct simplex communications in a free net, as is common during smaller Type IV incidents which don't require a formal Incident Action Plan. Topics include operating characteristics and limitations of FRS radio, radio features and controls, use of standard procedural words and phonetics.

Part II goes into more detail on voice operating procedures used in directed nets, including logging and message handling. Emphasis is on multiple-channel communications and the development of Communications Plans as used in Type III or more complex incidents. Additional topics discussed include the use of the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) and amateur radio service repeaters as a way of tying CERT teams back to their Incident Command Post, Public Safety Answering Point or Emergency Operations Center.

Having your civilian auxiliary communications unit offer this training to CERT teams in your locality is a great way to encourage those who are interested in communications to become licensed. CERT members who obtain the entry level Technician license can function as designated "Radio Operator" for their team leader to communicate with the command post, or public safety answering point using either amateur or GMRS radio and repeaters.

The files available for download include Power Point presentations for elements 1 and 2, course instructor guides, student handouts, example exercises and a radio forms pack.

The Arlington (VA) County Radio Puiblic Service Club web site also provides training for licensed radio amateurs to become members of the Auxiliary Communications Service, see the URL

http://www.w4ava.org/training.htm

These training materials allow ACS applicants to access the Basic Radio Operator Course training from the comfort of their homes. Candidates must then complete an examination and must pass an FBI fingerprint and background check. After initial certification is earned, annual refresher training and recertification is required to maintain active team status.

The Basic Radio Operator Course training materials are available without charge to for nonprofit organization, local government and public safety use for volunteer training purposes within the scope of the copyright statement on our web site. http://www.w4ava.org/training.htm

• Class 1 - Intro to Emergency Communications. Class 1 Materials: PDF -- PowerPoint® -- MP3
• Class 2 - Operating Procedures for Voice Nets. Class 2 Materials: PDF -- PowerPoint®
• Class 3 - Message Handling. Class 3 Materials: PDF -- PowerPoint® -- WAV
• Class 4 - Personal Preparedness and Equipment Class 4 Materials: PDF -- PowerPoint®
• Class 5 - RACES Functions in the EOC. Class 5 Materials: PDF -- PowerPoint®

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 September 2013, 06:37,
RE: Portable Radio Fundamentals Training
Thank you CH

Thats a huge information resource. Those wanting to participate in community radio, assisting the authorities in emergencies and event manageent can learn a great deal from it.

Within the UK it is RAYNET who is the umbrella organization for non-government Agency emergency radio communications. Their UK-centric emergency communications manual is available for download from theit=r website at http://raynet-uk.net/

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ANYONE IN UK ACTING ON INFORMATION CONTAINED WITHIN CHARLIE'S LINKS: Using 462Mhz band and using the 2m VHF band at frequencies beyond 146.000Mhz is illegal in the UK, even for licensed amateurs at this time. Operating, or practicing on those illegal frequencies will get you noticed, and possibly prosecuted by OFCOM the UK government Radio Communications Agency.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 September 2013, 11:28,
I don't know if anyone is interested, we've just got back from Lidl's, they are selling walkie talkie type radios with an 8KM range for £25...just thought i'd let people know.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 September 2013, 12:47,
(24 September 2013, 11:28)bigpaul Wrote: I don't know if anyone is interested, we've just got back from Lidl's, they are selling walkie talkie type radios with an 8KM range for £25...just thought i'd let people know.

I can't see these on the Lidl website BP, but guess they are regular PMR446 units. 8KM ( 5 miles) is an optimistic range specification for these devices....work on the basis of them being good for 1 mile to 2 miles range and the buyer should not be disappointed.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 September 2013, 12:54,
(24 September 2013, 12:47)Lightspeed Wrote:
(24 September 2013, 11:28)bigpaul Wrote: I don't know if anyone is interested, we've just got back from Lidl's, they are selling walkie talkie type radios with an 8KM range for £25...just thought i'd let people know.

I can't see these on the Lidl website BP, but guess they are regular PMR446 units. 8KM ( 5 miles) is an optimistic range specification for these devices....work on the basis of them being good for 1 mile to 2 miles range and the buyer should not be disappointed.

not necessarily part of my preps LS, its just that I noticed them and I thought I would let the forum know these are available, they were in our local LIDL this very morning.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 September 2013, 13:45,
i saw these too, the are PMR with CTCSS and DCS, run on rechargeable AAA's

If i didn't have my binatones i'd have picked them up, did get a pair of compact binoculars for £5 though!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 September 2013, 15:39,
(24 September 2013, 13:45)Binnie Wrote: i saw these too, the are PMR with CTCSS and DCS, run on rechargeable AAA's

If i didn't have my binatones i'd have picked them up, did get a pair of compact binoculars for £5 though!

Good old Lidl...the prepper's friend!Smile
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580