Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visual Rescue Signals
24 September 2013, 17:41,
Visual Rescue Signals
Mirror flashes are the best daytime signal device and can be seen by search aircraft for miles. Smoke signals are also useful if you pre-set signal fires in threes, ready to light. Empty food cans or auto hubcaps containing rags soaked with crankcase oil are a good improvised signal.

The military VS-17 ground signal panel takes up little space in your kit, is highly visible and is also multi-purpose serving also as a ground cloth or improvised poncho.

ICAO surface-to-air signals are also useful to know. Stamp these out in the snow or beach arrange large piles of branches or rocks 10 meters high or more which can be seen readily from search aircraft:

V Require assistance
X Need medical assistance
Y Yes – affirmative
N No – negative
→ I am proceeding in this direction

At night a flashing signal strobe light is best, but signal fires in groups of three will also attach attention. Pyrotechnic signal flares are bulky, a fire hazard and also a one-chance deal. Much better, though expensive, are laser signal devices designed for this purpose, such as the Greatland Rescue Laser. http://www.bestglide.com/rescue_laser_flare.html In the USA these are routinely issued to FEMA search & rescue, Coast Guard rescue swimmmers and military para-rescue personnel.

Everyone outdoors should carry at least a simple whistle. It can be heard for a greater distance than yelling and it takes lots less effort.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 September 2013, 17:46,
RE: Visual Rescue Signals
(24 September 2013, 17:41)CharlesHarris Wrote: V Require assistance
Y Yes – affirmative
N No – negative

they taught us this when I was in the boy Scouts.....half a century ago!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 September 2013, 18:30,
(24 September 2013, 17:46)bigpaul Wrote:
Y Yes – affirmative
N No – negative

they taught us this when I was in the boy Scouts.....half a century ago!!Big GrinBig Grin

Even though ideas travel at the speed of light, there is often a delay between when things happen here and when they reach our cousins on the other side of the Atlantic!

AngelAngelAngel
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 September 2013, 19:11,
I learned these in Scouts also, but too many people who have grown up being dependent upon the government (our President is working has hard as he can to make America more like Europe) are utterly clueless!

We use the phrase "the unprepared in denial"

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 September 2013, 19:39,
(24 September 2013, 17:46)bigpaul Wrote:
Y Yes – affirmative
N No – negative

So. Many have not been in the Scouts and some things are worth reminding.

There was no need for that comment. Didn't add anything.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 September 2013, 08:57,
(24 September 2013, 19:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: So. Many have not been in the Scouts

that's a shame, you missed an experience!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 September 2013, 09:47,
We also use O for rescue us.

Or sets of 3. Three O's or 3 fire's. The same with gunshots, if you hear 3 uniformly spaced, that is meant as a call for help. Think SOS in morse code ...---... three sets of three. 3 really is the survival magic number...rule of 3 as well.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 September 2013, 12:07,
(25 September 2013, 08:57)bigpaul Wrote:
(24 September 2013, 19:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: So. Many have not been in the Scouts

that's a shame, you missed an experience!

I was in the Scouts. It was one of the key motivators for me moving to where I am now.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin