Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wool Still Works
27 September 2013, 11:46,
RE: Wool Still Works
(27 September 2013, 11:42)BeardyMan Wrote:
(27 September 2013, 11:22)Midnitemo Wrote: it says on the blurb that comes with the shirts that they are treated with a "special" ingredient and it goes on to tell you the washing precautions, i find there more showerproof than waterproof and my heathen other half has put them through the washing machine so whatever they did is probs long gone nowAngry

You can't wash 'em! You'll remove the smell of wood smoke.

sadly all my time under canvas lately has been with a bunch of drunken bikers and virtually nobody will let us have fires...at best you might get an organised small pallet bonfire with a fascist(sober)fire warden standing guard...but thats it grrrrr
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 September 2013, 11:50,
Dirty bastards. I hate Fire Nazis - it's not difficult to completely hide the fire scar. Gotta have a fire when sleeping outside!
27 September 2013, 11:55,
(27 September 2013, 11:50)BeardyMan Wrote: Dirty bastards. I hate Fire Nazis - it's not difficult to completely hide the fire scar. Gotta have a fire when sleeping outside!
do carry a fire tray and it has seen limited action after the pub shuts and the people with responsibilities have fekked of to bed but it's not the same.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 September 2013, 13:14,
(27 September 2013, 11:55)Midnitemo Wrote:
(27 September 2013, 11:50)BeardyMan Wrote: Dirty bastards. I hate Fire Nazis - it's not difficult to completely hide the fire scar. Gotta have a fire when sleeping outside!
do carry a fire tray and it has seen limited action after the pub shuts and the people with responsibilities have fekked of to bed but it's not the same.

I want the drum assembly from a washing machine or tumble dryer, good fire pit. Getting it out's the fun part though.

Still not the same as a proper fire, but it's raised off the ground so no marks on the floor = nothing for them to complain about Smile
27 September 2013, 23:57,
I bought an unissued Swedish 1943 dated grey wool jacket (battledress) today for the princely sum of £15. It was in a rare XL size too. 4 pockets on the front and 2 on the back. Partly lined and 2 internal pockets. Fitted shape and a quality item still with original tailors ticket attached. A superb bit of kit for minimal cost. this material design is well tried and tested in the earlier tumultuous years of the 20th century. Looks ok for casual open fronted wear and doubles up as prep kit. Easy to fit a waterproof layer over the top if necessary as it is not a bulky item. V.similar and colour too to the German issue kit of the time - not that that excites me at all but that it gives you an idea of the cut & style. You can find them on ebay for considerably more readies but military mart uk has them at a good price. You can get the trousers too but I wouldn't wear them together or you might look like a right saddo.. lol.

(Combined with one of those WW1 / WW2 repro leather jerkins at about £60 new, it would make quite a classic combination that is extensively historically proved in many field conditions for ruggedness and performance)
Highly recommended bushcraft/prep item. TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
15 October 2013, 19:52,
One thing you have to take into account, gets quite heavy when it's wet. Not to mention the itching.
Positively Pessimistic
16 October 2013, 03:58,
The wet weight I can handle. And I don't find it itchy. I wore wool uniforms for years.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
16 October 2013, 08:07,
Wool is far warmer when wet, the Highlanders of old, would wrap themselves in their great kilts and roll in wet grass before going to sleep, so that they were better insulated
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 October 2013, 23:14,
Well, for me, the itching is a bit of a deal breaker when it comes to wearing it next to my skin. It could be because I am transparent and have skin as sensitive as my moral values.
Positively Pessimistic