Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PV Solar Panel Heads Up
26 September 2013, 12:59,
Exclamation  PV Solar Panel Heads Up
Just a heads up if you are thinking of buying any Chinese solar panels. It looks like the EU are now going to be levying a tax on panels coming in to the UK of +47% if they are over a certain quota to that supplier. Not sure of the intricate details but I know of one supplier who has put a complete hold on incoming orders and another is ok til 2014 cos of adequate stock. Then their new prices will be much higher. Obviously this is a massive hike so best to keep tabs on your chosen supplier.

Nice to see the EU encouraging everyone to go green... Angry
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
26 September 2013, 14:04,
RE: PV Solar Panel Heads Up
Nix - We need a citation for that please.

My understanding was that EU were "considering" it. I didn't know it had passed.
Please link to your source

Thanks
26 September 2013, 14:13,
(26 September 2013, 12:59)Nix Wrote: Just a heads up if you are thinking of buying any Chinese solar panels. It looks like the EU are now going to be levying a tax on panels coming in to the UK of +47% if they are over a certain quota to that supplier. Not sure of the intricate details but I know of one supplier who has put a complete hold on incoming orders and another is ok til 2014 cos of adequate stock. Then their new prices will be much higher. Obviously this is a massive hike so best to keep tabs on your chosen supplier.

Nice to see the EU encouraging everyone to go green... Angry

I smell the lobbying influence of certain German industrial giants.

Fair enough I suppose, Germany has succeeded in taking charge of the whle of Europe without a single shot fired, so why shouldn't German industry look for an unfair advantage???
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 September 2013, 15:22,
Some info here and here

Looks like China may find a way of circumnavigating this cap by investing in a European state energy company and coming in through the back door but who knows. Of one thing that is clear, prices will have to go up, this from two suppliers I've talked to recently.
26 September 2013, 20:12,
Most of the Chinese panels are well short of European standards anyway,.. I would suggest that anyone looking to buy look closely at them before buying
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 September 2013, 08:42, (This post was last modified: 27 September 2013, 08:45 by Nix.)
(26 September 2013, 20:12)Highlander Wrote: Most of the Chinese panels are well short of European standards anyway,.. I would suggest that anyone looking to buy look closely at them before buying

How so Highlander? Chinese make 80% of the worlds panels and they've got the same guarantee, no moving parts to talk of and so long as it's sealed properly there shouldn't be any issues. Got to say that I've been very happy with mine!

(27 September 2013, 08:42)Nix Wrote:
(26 September 2013, 20:12)Highlander Wrote: Most of the Chinese panels are well short of European standards anyway,.. I would suggest that anyone looking to buy look closely at them before buying

How so Highlander? Chinese make 80% of the worlds panels and they've got the same guarantee, no moving parts to talk of and so long as it's sealed properly there shouldn't be any issues. Got to say that I've been very happy with mine!

NB - I only buy MCS accredited Chinese panels, I've not doubt there might be the odd Chinese manufacturer that are producing cheap and nasty so in that respect you could be right! Overall the Chinese have got the market, pity European ones are so expensive...