Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The one hour meltown.
11 October 2013, 06:59,
RE: The one hour meltown.
Spuzzana

I totally get your point, but i have to agree with Mortblanc, there is a bit of either wishful thinking, or tin foil hat chat from Grandpappy on that website

the reason i made a referrence to greece, is that most of the greeks maybe didnt realise this was a localised event, i mean did the whole country jump on google just to check if this was local or worldwide?

for many of the poor buggers in greece, this was TEOTWAWKI at that exact moment in time, yet the whole country didnt melt down in 60 mins.

OK some of the events happened, though after a much larger timescale (NOT 1 hour!). but for what its worth, to predict that during a banking shutdown people go a bit crazy, is like predicting that you will get wet if you fall in the sea.

I do reckon if the USA can't get thier house in order in the next week we could see negative things starting to happen!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
11 October 2013, 08:28,
This is a well thought through article.

As per the author's postscript, timeframe does not have to be one hour, and trigger points for bugging out can be different.

I particularly like the bus analogy. Very good. It covers the dangers of doing nothing and the also the danger and discomfort that will result in taking self-responsible actions.

Everyone on this forum has either already gotten off the bus, or are seriously considering doing so soon?????
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 October 2013, 22:37,
I appreciate what you are saying Binnie

Just consider this for a few moments, in the way that Mortblanc says,,,, Yeah Yeah Yeah I've heard it all before since the year dot.

It kinda feels that he/she has been reading about this potentially happening for a very long time and he/she has become long in the tooth hearing about it and kinda care worn or blazea about it. Yes if you are waiting for a very long time for something to happen you will begin to sag...and its at that very moment the fucker bites you because you let your guard down.

It is hard to hold the flame aloft and keep watch. I feel Mortblanc's pain...been preping on and off for probably around the same length of time. Started in my early 20's and now in my mid 50's. Its just now that things are potentially reaching a critical flash point.

Just stay alert
12 October 2013, 00:51,
The world has always been close to ending for some people. This theme has run right through history with plenty of literary and art evidence to show it. The 4 horses of the apocalypse have often been reported by wide eyed orators as riding across the hills towards town and due soon, sometime between 3.15pm and maybe the next day.. Unfortunately for some, it was true and it was the end of the world for them and sometimes whole civilizations crashed and burned through war & pestilence etc. BUT, there has always been the daily worriers who either believe it is due next week or those that manipulate peoples fears for their own benefit. For the vast majority of the time, nothing significant happens. Whole generations come & go and no appreciable SHTF event happens for them. Many smaller incidents on a localised level are the norm.
In the 1950's most people, including the military thought that WW3 was inevitable and due daily - a critical flashpoint indeed. This was a very close reality and still is a present lingering possibility. However, the folks that thought they were about to be expunged from the planet were generally still around many decades later and there were other possible SHTF calamities throughout that time also.
Maybe the next biggie is just around the corner, maybe its not? I guess that many individual preppers who have been concerned over it for many years eventually learn to stop worrying about it so much and just get on with their lives - which of course has a chunk of "prep work" within it. Don't get all in a tiz worrying it might be next week. Just methodically prepare your own set up in the most viable order you think necessary and your finances allow. Why worry when you will be better prepared and skilled than most other normal population after a while.
I don't think that having waited a long time for anything to happen and then "sagging" will have any affect on the mechanics of order and chaos of this World. Otherwise due to the constant passage of time and the countless millions of people over many centuries who have grown old worrying over this, then that logic would dictate that SHTF events would be happening on an hourly basis. I think the label "sagging" might be a misidentification of a relaxed and confident attitude.
Chill bro.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
12 October 2013, 10:00,
My own personal take on this is really two fold. Firstly, I want to be a lot more self reliant and, secondly, I see before me a world that is becoming more unsustainable and fragile by the day.

Doing any form if prepping will help in both cases. While I hope there never will be a SHTF scenario, I'm also aware of the possibilities. I don't know about a meltdown in just one hour but there will be a tipping point where it could go tits up very rapidly. It's happened in the past and it will inevitably happen again, it's just a matter of how and when.

In the meantime, I strive to reduce my dependency on the system and am building towards as much self reliance as I can with my own power generation, gardening, etc. To live in a small isolated community who's values are more in favour of harmony and balance rather than greed and ego is my ultimate wish.

Maybe one day... Rolleyes
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
12 October 2013, 15:38,
(11 October 2013, 22:37)Spuzzana Wrote: I appreciate what you are saying Binnie

Just consider this for a few moments, in the way that Mortblanc says,,,, Yeah Yeah Yeah I've heard it all before since the year dot.

It kinda feels that he/she has been reading about this potentially happening for a very long time and he/she has become long in the tooth hearing about it and kinda care worn or blazea about it. Yes if you are waiting for a very long time for something to happen you will begin to sag...and its at that very moment the fucker bites you because you let your guard down.

It is hard to hold the flame aloft and keep watch. I feel Mortblanc's pain...been preping on and off for probably around the same length of time. Started in my early 20's and now in my mid 50's. Its just now that things are potentially reaching a critical flash point.

Just stay alert

By UK standards I would be considered an "extreme prepper". If I showed my stores and equipment you would probably accuse me of snagging pictures off the internet rather than taking them myself. But all these preps are not for TEOTWAWKI, they are for the real life hazards and hardships I have experienced as a human in the interior of the U.S. and not some fantasy scenario. They are a response to actual events that happen annually here in my home region. (most of them anyway, part are for pure recreational purposes and I simply love the homestead experience)

The fact that they would be considered preps for TEOTWAWKI is coincidental, and not my real intent.

While some claim an American can have no concept of the "British situation", 99% of my actions and preparations are transferable to the British experience and available to any British citizen by a short trip to a suburban shopping mall. Even my weapons, which I seldom talk about directly, are available to any law abiding British citizen capable of filling out the proper forms and willing to pay the fees.

I have zero interest in the zombie apocalypse, world wide EMP effects, total social collapse, unarmed combat with hordes of roaming looters, alien invasion or any other fantasy scenario.

I have lost all tolerance for people that prep for those incidents while ignoring the common sense hazards of daily life. Or toward bogus/fake "preppers" that refuse to do what they know they should do, and discourage others from common sense actions, simply to cover their own shortcomings or boost their egos.

If that is "sagging", I have "sagged".
12 October 2013, 16:26,
(12 October 2013, 15:38)Mortblanc Wrote: I have zero interest in the zombie apocalypse, world wide EMP effects, total social collapse, unarmed combat with hordes of roaming looters, alien invasion or any other fantasy scenario.

I have lost all tolerance for people that prep for those incidents while ignoring the common sense hazards of daily life.

unlike some, I do not prep for Unemployment(too old), sickness or rises in food prices-you know what I call NORMAL LIFE!Tongue however societal collapse and hordes of roaming looters are quite possible given recent (UK) events!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 October 2013, 07:37, (This post was last modified: 13 October 2013, 07:55 by Lightspeed.)
(12 October 2013, 10:00)Nix Wrote: My own personal take on this is really two fold. Firstly, I want to be a lot more self reliant and, secondly, I see before me a world that is becoming more unsustainable and fragile by the day.

Doing any form if prepping will help in both cases. While I hope there never will be a SHTF scenario, I'm also aware of the possibilities. I don't know about a meltdown in just one hour but there will be a tipping point where it could go tits up very rapidly. It's happened in the past and it will inevitably happen again, it's just a matter of how and when.

In the meantime, I strive to reduce my dependency on the system and am building towards as much self reliance as I can with my own power generation, gardening, etc. To live in a small isolated community who's values are more in favour of harmony and balance rather than greed and ego is my ultimate wish.

Maybe one day... Rolleyes

Well said Nix.

I'm 100% with you. This is my game plan too.

Good luck in realising your wish!

(12 October 2013, 15:38)Mortblanc Wrote: [quote='Spuzzana' pid='73049' dateline='1381527451']

......They are a response to actual events that happen annually here in my home region. (most of them anyway, part are for pure recreational purposes and I simply love the homestead experience)

......... I have lost all tolerance for people that prep for those incidents while ignoring the common sense hazards of daily life. Or toward bogus/fake "preppers" that refuse to do what they know they should do, and discourage others from common sense actions, simply to cover their own shortcomings or boost their egos.

Respect Mortblanc,

Now I get where you are coming from and agree with your sentiments on all but the firearms situation.

In UK getting any firearms requires not just filling in forms, but providing human references. Overall there are comparatively few gun licenses as a percentage of population compared to USA. Most licenses are for shotguns. full firearms certificates are comparatively rare, they require greater background checks by the police, and holding such firearms really does make you stand out on the radar of the authorities. Worse, because of the comparative rarity of FAC grade firearms in the UK, holding them increases the likelihood of criminals trying to steal them from you, if it is known that you hold them. We are most strongly discouraged from using firearms to defend ourselves by the Legal system here. Numerous examples can be found of imprisonment of people who have defended themselves with firearms against violent criminals who have entered their homes.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

13 October 2013, 17:21,
Yes, I know all about your firearms restrictions and limitations. I have discussed them in depth on other forums and with individual British citizens. I have looked the laws up and found that most British citizens have only a mythological understanding of those laws.

I also know that if I could have only one firearm it would be a shotgun, and I know the effectiveness of the shotguns and accessories of today.

I also know that more then one shotgun can be placed on each of your permits. One permit can arm an entire family.

And as far as "rule of law" goes, we are speaking of a SHTF situation, not walking down to get a newspaper. Separate the two!

I really do feel that the most dangerous thing a British prepper faces is a lifetime of conditioning to unquestioned obedience to the law, which will cost lives needlessly if rule of law evaporates. The last words of thousands will be "You can't do that!"

The unquestioned obedience to inapplicable laws has been a cultural problem for several centuries and was the central focus of most of the colonial independence movements all over the Empire.
13 October 2013, 17:33,
(13 October 2013, 17:21)Mortblanc Wrote: I really do feel that the most dangerous thing a British prepper faces is a lifetime of conditioning to unquestioned obedience to the law, which will cost lives needlessly if rule of law evaporates. The last words of thousands will be "You can't do that!"

yes, that is probably very true, however, on the bright side, this will cut the numbers to a more manageable level!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.