Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Solar Panels Dangerous?
2 October 2013, 14:46,
Are Solar Panels Dangerous?
I thought we in the UK were bad at Health and Safety but what do you think of these claims?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/02/fir...ar-panels/
2 October 2013, 15:25,
RE: Are Solar Panels Dangerous?
the part about not being able to access the roof underneath panels is the only thing worth talking about,

the rest is just tabloid nonsense, would a firefighter really walk on a tiled roof of a burning building? i doubt it, so to say they may get electrocuted or slip on the smooth surface of the panels is just ludicrous.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
2 October 2013, 16:44,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I can see the DailyFail pumping this story up ASAP!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 October 2013, 20:49,
I dont really see a danger here either, I suppose I can see a flat roof having had more weight added to it being more likely to collasp if the fire was doing damage directly below it, but apart from that I cant see a problem

Most of us put our panels on our slopping roofs, doing this adds strength to the roofs, which should make life safer for the fireman,....

If the solar is grid tied, then when he switches off the mains,.. the power produced by the panels will only get as far as the mains panel/switches,... same applies for a stand alone system I would think
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 October 2013, 22:15,
There are several dangers here with solar panels. Some more realistic than others. My main concern would be getting electocuted by a loose wire or a broken connector on a nice sunny day when you think you have disconnected the mains.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 October 2013, 22:42,
If a panelfalls off the roof and clonks you on the noggin, that would be dangerous.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 October 2013, 23:18,
Yes it would but if installed correctly it would be very unlikely. Chimney pots get lose and fall in heavy winds, roof tiles get lifted and fall in heavy winds too. These sort of things happen. Solar panels are not any different as far as debris go with one exception; that just by being there in the sun they can kill you.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 October 2013, 09:06,
If the solar panels are connected in series, as in a grid tie system, then YES they have the potential to zap you, make no mistake! If connected in parallel, then not likely as they should only be below 37v. Know your system!

If, during a fire the mains goes down or a fireman switches off one of the isolators, then the danger still remains between the panel array and that isolator switch or inverter.

The way I see it, on a roof like mine where we are talking sloping slates, the solar panel brackets could actually aid someone on the roof cos they should be bolted into the rafters and should be pretty damn solid. During my instal, I was often using them to stop me from sliding off the roof. Some installers just screw into the battens which is not good.

So, depends on the circumstances, they could aid or they could maim.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!