Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's What To Do If You're In Public And Bullets Start To Fly
2 October 2013, 23:58,
Exclamation  Here's What To Do If You're In Public And Bullets Start To Fly
http://www.businessinsider.com/survi...=Sept2013-feat

Here's What To Do If You're In Public And Bullets Start To Fly
GEOFFREY INGERSOLL SEP. 17, 2013, 1:02 PM

You’re in public, minding your business, on your way to work — and gunshots ring out. This rare, but terrifying scenario is something that all of us should consider with the prevalence of mass shootings in modern times. There have been five in the U.S. just this year alone, not to mention the staggering number of gun deaths in America.

So here are immediate actions you can take to ensure your survival, which I learned during my time as a U.S. Marine.

Don’t freak out. Don't scream. Stay calm.

1. Hit The Deck!

This seems like common sense. Matter of fact, all of these will seem like common sense. But you wouldn't believe how many people hear gunfire in a public place and just stand around, heads all in the air, bewildered, looking this way and that.
Get low!

The first thing you need to do is remove your dome from the where the bullets will be. So ... lower it.

2. Don't Scream!

If you find yourself in a situation like this, keep your mouth shut. The last thing you want to do is make the shooter notice you.

That includes talking on your cell phone—stay off of it, especially if you're in a city or other populated public place, where people who are within earshot but outside the danger zone can call the police.

Authorities might even be on the spot.

So don't yell, don't talk. Stay quiet.

3. Conceal Yourself

Seems like common sense, right?

But again, some people will sit well within sight of a perpetrator. Put something in between you and the shooter, preferably something that blocks his sight completely, but anything that offers a bit of misdirection (like tall grass) will help.

If he can't see you, he'll have trouble shooting you.

4. Find Cover

Cover and concealment are not the same thing. Concealment is just about sight, whereas cover actually conceals and stops bullets. This could be a concrete embankment, like the one pictured here.

Cars are not cover! They are concealment. This isn't the movies. Bullets go through cars. If a car is your only choice, however, security experts tell Business Insider to place the engine between yourself and the shooter.

Otherwise, quietly find some earth, stone, or steel to hide behind.

5. Identify The Threat, Move Away

This is the last step.

From your position, Try to identify where the threat is, then move away slowly, keeping a low profile, keeping that piece of cover or concealment between you and the threat.

Don't be a hero! Leave that up to our men and women in uniform.

I can't tell you not to try and save an old lady, or a child, or a friend. Admittedly I would try to save any one of them. But just know the risk.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
3 October 2013, 00:10,
RE: Here's What To Do If You're In Public And Bullets Start To Fly
Here are some useful links with additional information:

http://emilms.fema.gov/is906/WSA01summary.htm

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/activ...ooklet.pdf

http://www.dhs.gov/redirect?url=http%3A%...I5EoWBRYmo

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
3 October 2013, 02:50,
Its going to be low and fast for me and away from the gunfire not in straight lines..don't fancy taking cover unarmed and having the shooter advance on me, i know how difficult it is giving a zigzaging man a lead.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
3 October 2013, 05:05,
In our government offices in the US post 9/11, people were actually being taught to fight back using improvised weapons.

Computer work stations has a distress keycode which could be entered discreetly to activate a webcam and live audio feed alerting security to the cubicle having "issues". We used this several time in workplace violence situations, but didn't need to for terrorism.

My particular office had several "light duty" law enforcement who were reassigned after having been injured non the job, and they retained their badge and weapons and were armed during their ordinary duties when reassigned to emergency management. It was helpful on several occasions to have am armed, sworn officer with pistol and riot shotgun to acccompany me on some investigations when I was working building code enforcement and environmental crimes in the DC area.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
3 October 2013, 14:31,
I agree....fight back if you're trapped or cornered or have children to defend....may as well die a lion as a sheep!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!