Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kombucha - Probiotic
3 October 2013, 10:24,
Kombucha - Probiotic
I was just having a quick swig of kombucha (fermented tea) because it's really good for your health, and it got me thinking, damn I need to sort my own batch of this stuff. It's £5 a bottle, and it's too tasty!!! But then I thought about how it would be really helpful post SHTF. Digestion will be a major issue for some people.

Being 'regular' and having a good stomach balance will be very helpful post SHTF. Obviously it won't be critical and a life saver, but it will make the adjustment period much smoother and with seasonal changes of food and digestion issues, this stuff will be a God send!

Google it, check it out, and start your own lovely brewing process. Personally, I'm looking at just buying loads of it and looking at finding a chunking culture in the middle of a bottle and just moving that over. Pow...just like magic, I have my own product.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 October 2013, 10:52,
RE: Kombucha - Probiotic
Hi Scythe,
I make kombucha and yes I think it's great stuff too.
Bought my culture starter kit from http://happykombucha.co.uk/ via ebay
All you need is tea, sugar, water and the yeast/culture

I read that it was made in the uk at one time but with the war and rationing the practice nearly died out.
Also it is suppose to be a good defense against cancer.

Cheers Juice.
walk outside the box
3 October 2013, 13:38,
Historically before the Victorians built all those monolithic reservoirs and pipework systems, then for the majority of the population water was too unsafe to drink naturally. That is why "small beer" or cider were the common drinks of the day. Lightly fermented and of weak alcohol content so daily work routines were not affected - also a tolerance would have been built up from childhood. Yeast ferments the liquid and impurities are removed in the process. Damn efficient method using nature and no auxillery heatsource needed. just needs processing in the warmer months and to be stored through the winter until use.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
4 October 2013, 10:36,
I have a couple of questions. Can you make Kombucha from once or twice -used Tea, and can you substitute any other plant for the tea. The reason I ask, is, if like me you have a finite amount of Tea stored. Post event, I would want to get a couple of brews, before then maybe considering using it for Kombucha, or the alternative?

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
4 October 2013, 11:21,
pine needle kombucha anyone?
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 October 2013, 11:40,
(4 October 2013, 10:36)TOF Wrote: I have a couple of questions. Can you make Kombucha from once or twice -used Tea, and can you substitute any other plant for the tea. The reason I ask, is, if like me you have a finite amount of Tea stored. Post event, I would want to get a couple of brews, before then maybe considering using it for Kombucha, or the alternative?

I'm going with green tea and pou-erh (that spelling doesn't look right) tea. With this, I will be able to grow my own. Having said that, once it's brewing, from what I can tell, you can just throw in loads of different types of tea. Second hand would be fine. Might not give premium tasting 'bucha, but it would be better than none. Also, 1kg of tea would produce a whole load of kombucha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 October 2013, 14:25,
Thanks!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart