Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TBS Boar EDC - first impressions
4 October 2013, 06:28,
TBS Boar EDC - first impressions
Hi guys

Just a quick review of the "TBS boar" non locking folder

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tbs-b...2816-p.asp

I was looking for something with a scandinavian grind for ease of maintenance, that i could carry most of the time.

i stumbled across the knife, and though it was a little more than i was looking to spend, online reviews seemed to indicate it definitely worth considering.

it feels very comfortable in the hand, and is very sharp out of the box, compared to other "EDC" knives i have, this one feels very capable, as other EDC knives i've tried always feel very small, this one feels like a proper tool.

the handle isn't so large that its uncomfortable to carry in a pocket though.

as you'd expect from something that's going to live in your pocket, it's fully stainless, so minimum maintenance is required.

overall i'd give it a 9/10, if there was a nick in the blade to get a nail in to to open it, i'd give it a 10/10

the mechanism is quite stiff, but i think it'll loosen off with use.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 October 2013, 07:55,
RE: TBS Boar EDC - first impressions
That's a pretty good looking knife.

Good review mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 October 2013, 12:13,
£50 quid for a pocket knife Undecided thats just too much for a everyday knife
Survive the jive (youtube )
4 October 2013, 12:15,
yeah i thought that too, but it's quite a rugged piece of kit.

if you could imagine a mini bushlore knife that folds, then thats the kind of knife it is.
4 October 2013, 20:09,
It's a very nice looking bit of kit.£50 puts it in the Gucci price range for a pocket knife for me.As much as it appeals i think i'll stick with the Svord Peasant ,L6 tool steel and £17 make it a winner.They need edge work as they're dog rough,but they're tough.They hold a very good edge,and i wouldn't be afraid of losing it.
Still that TBS looks to be very well finished and i've seen much worse pocket knives for double the price.Let us know how you get on with itCool
16 October 2013, 11:49,
Well after having the knife for a fortnight, and using it almost daily for little tasks, i love it.

the action has freed off nicely, it's still very sharp, and absolutely no slack in the blade, i've used it for levering/prying when i forgot a panel key to open an electrical panel, and no slack in the blade

the blade did have the smallest of bevels though, i think it was finished by belt, but 5 mins on my new DC521 ( Big Grin ) and it's back to razor sharp
4 January 2014, 11:38,
Another follw up here.

I use this knife almost every day,

used it for cutting up boxes and suchlike when i moved house, use it for pruning in the garden, use it for food chopping.

Also used it for battoning sticks, and chopping through plastic with the aid of a hammer lol,

the action is now a lot smoother with use, and it still feels great, with no sign of hinge wear etc.

I'll probably buy another to cache somewhere as i'm so impressed with this knife!
4 January 2014, 23:09,
Nice to see a follow up. Glad you have an awesome blade there mate.

One word I'd like to put for your consideration....batoning. I'd highly recommend not batoning with a folder! The exception being a couple of folders by Cold Steel (but they have a hinge and locking system designed for shock absorption, especially for baton work). It will damage the mechanism and severely ruin the system. Quit while you're ahead with the batoning...unless it's super light weight work and you're not pounding on the blade.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin