Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toilet Flushing post SHTF
14 October 2013, 10:07,
RE: Toilet Flushing post SHTF
(14 October 2013, 05:41)Kenneth Eames Wrote: The Great problem here, is that with all of the Human Manure about after a Survival situation is, that there will be an aweful amount of Disease about. As mentioned in other posts, many will die. I think bugging out is the only way if you live in a city or town. Kenneth Eames.

I agree Kenneth, so many people will just bag and dump their waste in the hedgerows and back alleys without giving it a thought, pretty soon the cities and larger towns will be rife with disease and people will start dying from diarrhoea, cholera etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 October 2013, 02:39,
(4 October 2013, 14:15)Binnie Wrote: i'll need to do a bit of digging, but i do know someone who who can maybe get the info, i know if there is a breakdown, our local wastewater treatment plant discharges straight to the north sea.

Sewage treatment and filtration plants do have bypasses that operate when there is a breakdown problem, the same as they do when there'e excess floodwater and it was that little gem that made me ask the question about the dangers of munching moluscs from the local coast...

15 October 2013, 07:45, (This post was last modified: 15 October 2013, 07:57 by Binnie.)
(15 October 2013, 02:39)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(4 October 2013, 14:15)Binnie Wrote: i'll need to do a bit of digging, but i do know someone who who can maybe get the info, i know if there is a breakdown, our local wastewater treatment plant discharges straight to the north sea.

Sewage treatment and filtration plants do have bypasses that operate when there is a breakdown problem, the same as they do when there'e excess floodwater and it was that little gem that made me ask the question about the dangers of munching moluscs from the local coast...

i think there would certainly be an issue, it's probably best to find out where the discharge pipes are, knowing that there could be an issue in those areas

Actually, found a good resource, though its only applicable to designated "bathing waters"

GG i think this page may be of interest to you

http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/bathing_wat...?area=west

if you click a specific area, you'll see a "bathing water profile, info and maps" PDF, gives quite a bit of info including maps with a legend referring to outlets, overflows etc.

The engineer i spoke to referred to Stonehaven, http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/bathing_wat...version=-1

you can see on that map the "emergency overflow" but i beleive another outlet on this map was discharging raw sewage. still a good resource though!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
15 October 2013, 16:30,
Nice one that Binnie. It does give some revealing (but not very encouraging!) information for the coast just slightly south of my main area of interest but I already know the situation is similar. INteresting to know there's a 'Combined Sewer Overflow' just past the low tide line...

There are a few of those wee 'Sewage Pumping Stations' up and down the coast hereabouts but I wonder where they pump it to? I don't recall a main treatment works anywhere up or down the coast...

Thinking about it, it's not really so many years ago when it was all discharged straight into the sea. I reckon I'll rethink the marine protein idea...

16 October 2013, 08:51,
IT may be possible to "cultivate" mussles etc away from discharge pipes, though i think theft will be a major issue

found another resource, this time UK wide, its not a massive scale, but does detail in the maps section where waste water treatment plants are https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...r-2012.pdf
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....