Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toilet Flushing post SHTF
5 October 2013, 14:36,
RE: Toilet Flushing post SHTF
i`m lucky we have are own septic tank thats over 100ft lower than the toilet and although we are on mains water we also have a dammed spring that feeds the cows with water thats got a 200ft head so plenty of pressure and i recently installed a tap system so my water can be changed too spring water quickly!

if i had too use a system that was reliant on the sewerage i think the best method would be to divert the soil pipe into a container or a pit dug in your garden,them compost the waste! you could dig a outside toilet but its much nicer too do your business in your home and flush it Smile
5 October 2013, 19:33,
We too are on a septic tank with a soakaway, so hopefully no problems should come to a head. Just wonder what I will have to do when we need to arrange for the occasional visit from the honey monster and the service isn't available! Dig the sludge out by hand I suppose. Lovely!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
5 October 2013, 20:22,
(5 October 2013, 19:33)MaryN Wrote: We too are on a septic tank with a soakaway, so hopefully no problems should come to a head. Just wonder what I will have to do when we need to arrange for the occasional visit from the honey monster and the service isn't available! Dig the sludge out by hand I suppose. Lovely!

the tank will have 3 layers crust on top
liquid in middle
solids in bottom
I push hose into liquid and pump out down hill and use a bucket on rope to clean out solids we spead it in polytunnel and dig in
yes it smells a bit but not that bad do it in winter when frosty so no flys etc our tank is a 400 gallon old juice tankWinkWink
6 October 2013, 05:50,
dig a long drop and use saw dust or soil to cover what you deposit it has worked for centuries http://www.lowimpact.org/step_by_step_gu...ilets.html or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuP-ngWViCM
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
6 October 2013, 06:50,
I'm wondering that if there is a backflow up the sewers into our street
whether a liberal flush of Jeyes Fluid might take away some of the possible infection.
6 October 2013, 13:09,
if there is a backflow in the main sewers we will all need something a lot stronger than Jeyes Fluid!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 October 2013, 21:50,
The backlog of stuff is why I said it would only work if you were up hill or far from the from of the line.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 October 2013, 07:02,
Here we have sewerage system via a cesspit and soak-away. .....strangely the gardens in the hamlet downhill from us are extremely green ad fertile!!!

If mains water is cut, loo flushing will only continue using excess harvested rain water, or using hand lifted water from the well. The second option quite be very labour intensive.

Backup is a dry toilet. Next year we will start using this in a limited way ( me only I suspect) to evaluate humanure methodology. Toilet now refurbished and composting bins constructed in readiness...... I'm now looking forward to getting down to businessBig Grin
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 October 2013, 05:41,
The Great problem here, is that with all of the Human Manure about after a Survival situation is, that there will be an aweful amount of Disease about. As mentioned in other posts, many will die. I think bugging out is the only way if you live in a city or town. Kenneth Eames.
14 October 2013, 09:32,
I have visions of a family living in a top floor flat. Flushing away and living on their preps. Three months later coming down to see what has survived and finding the bottom three floor full of their waste.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin