Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Multi-purpose tools.
8 October 2013, 22:04,
RE: Multi-purpose tools.
Ah, I see you have contracted the global virus meme at some point in your past. lol TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
9 October 2013, 07:11,
Just ordered one of these http://www.bahco.com/english/products/wr...knife.html

after sharepening one for a colleague, i realised the multitude of uses that this thing could be used for, less than £15 on ebay too!

after about 5mins work with my stones its as sharp as any knife i have in my kit,
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
9 October 2013, 21:59,
Interesting - combining the use of a knife with that of a chisel. I would want to know what grade of steel it was! Normally a wood chisel is hard and does not take being hammered or bent very well. Conversely, a "wrecking knife" (???) would need to be tough and able to withstand a lot of torsional stress... How does this equate to this Bahco tool?
10 October 2013, 06:24,
Hi TL

I'm no idea what kind of steel it is, i do know it's not stainless, some kind of carbon steel.

there were 2 small nicks in the blade, the owner told me he lent the knife to a colleague who chopped through a bit of wood with a nail in it (!) and the knife is hammered most times it is used and has never chipped the back edge.

the blade is quite thick, i'd feel confident using it to pry with, a lot more confident than using a "mini prybar"
10 October 2013, 14:31,
It sounds like it might be a useful tool, with a softer steel back edge. It sounds similar in a way to a "lead burners" choppy hatchety knife type thing that I have and is a one piece complete forging. This was my grandfathers and used from the 1930's onwards. It shows signs of much hammering along the back edge and the blade is still good. I have used it for a variety of tasks and would regard it as a useful all round preppers tool. In the case of the one you have, being of a narrower profile, I would want to know its limits of twisting/bending etc before relying on it for a prying type [/i]tool for use during or after any kind of event. The simple way is to test it out and be prepared for its demise and replacement. The amount of stress it will endure can then be taken into account for future critical use. Alternatively but not quite as sure a method, is to treat it carefully and only use it for specific tasks up to an estimated limit of stress & don't go beyond it. this would make it quite useable for a scenario but may preclude it from more stressful roles (which it may or may not endure, but best not to find out when you are reliant on it as the only tool you have). Regards, TL.
16 October 2013, 11:46,
well the "wrecking knife" has earned a place in my toolkit, if i'm ever working and need to leave in an emergency, i'll be grabbing it FIRST

It's shaving sharp, i cut open some tough cardboard boxes and used it to remove perished exhaust hangers from my van, performed very well, and after a little stropping, it's back to making my non knife hand arm that little bit more bald lol
17 October 2013, 08:46,
(16 October 2013, 11:46)Binnie Wrote: well the "wrecking knife" has earned a place in my toolkit, if i'm ever working and need to leave in an emergency, i'll be grabbing it FIRST

It's shaving sharp, i cut open some tough cardboard boxes and used it to remove perished exhaust hangers from my van, performed very well, and after a little stropping, it's back to making my non knife hand arm that little bit more bald lol

Sounds like a good tool. So far my Smith n Wesson has taken a hell of a beating and survived, so I'll not be buying a wrecking knife at the moment, but I'll keep my eyes out for a second hand one on ebay. Cheers mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin