Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water sterilisation tablets for a quid.
18 December 2011, 22:24,
RE: water sterilisation tablets for a quid.
Yeh mike got the maths wrong and also I feel they will not have a expectancy life indefinite, good for 5 years but deteriorate over that time.
18 December 2011, 22:36,
no you're right, I did mistype. at 3000 litres per tablet x 36 tablets per packet = 108000 litres. my bad, sorry. that'll teach me to use a calculator and not rely on my brain
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
18 December 2011, 23:24, (This post was last modified: 18 December 2011, 23:27 by mikebratcher69.)
AS I SAID IF YOU READ THE WHOLE THING, I MADE A TYPO ITS 1 MILLIGRAM PER LITER NOT 1 GRAM. THERES A THOUSAND MILLIGRAMS IN 1 GRAM SO THERFORE 3 THOUSAND PER TABLET, AT 3 GRAMS EACH... SO 3 THOUSAND MILLIGRAMS PER TABLET AT 1 MILLIGRAM PER LITER EQUELS 3000 LITERS AND 36 TABS PER PACK 36 X 3000 = 108000 LITERS IF IM NOT MISTAKEN.

WHY DONT YOU BELIEVE THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION THEN? AND THE MANY OTHER WATER COMANYS AROUND THE WORLD THAT USE THEM? CANT ALL BE WRONG...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
18 December 2011, 23:37, (This post was last modified: 18 December 2011, 23:38 by preservefreak.)
It's the price I can't believe. Even with my miscalculation that's a hell of a lot of water purification for £1. I'll certainly be getting some tomorrow.
you can't edit posts?

thanks for telling us about this Mike
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
19 December 2011, 00:40,
Something doesn't sound right here.

One thousanth of a tablet does one litre. how big are these tablets? Even assuming that we get water in 25 litres it would be interesting breaking the tablet into that size.

Can you put in the details on the label itself.

Regardless though even if it is 1 gram per litre that is good for us.

As far as storage goes. If we put water in a container, pop in the tablets and seal it upthen when we need it we air it for an hour or so it should be fine. germs will be nuked in the bottle and then sealed in. Should be OK.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 December 2011, 00:48,
Been digging bit deeper.

Sodium dichloroisocyanurate (C3HCl2N3O3Na, Aquatabs, Micropur Forte, Chlor-Floc, NaDCC, Lifesystems Chlorine Tablets)

Sodium dichloroisocyanurate allows for a "reservoir" of chlorine which allows for a lower pH and higher proportions/levels of hypochlorous acid (HOCl). Because HOCl is electrically natural and is similar in structure to HOH, it is more able to diffuse through the cell wall of bacteria than OCl- and in turn is far more damaging. After diffusion through the cell wall by HOCl, chlorination (oxidation) of cell proteins or enzyme systems causes hydrolysis of peptidic chains of cellular membranes. This makes this form of chlorine decontamination in many ways much more potent for water treatment than other chlorine treatment chemicals.

Aquatabs are usually dosed at one tab per quart (liter) to provide 5mg/L. Thirty minutes of treatment time is required for bacteria and viruses and at least 90 minutes (450 mg min/L) of contact time is required to adequately treat for Giardia.

19 December 2011, 13:31,
Wow. Sounds like those germs are toast.

A very affordable prep for the stores. Just check you get the dosage tight.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 December 2011, 13:49,
After reading this thread I think I'll stay settled with my Katadyn and Berky or resort to boiling the water Smile

19 December 2011, 17:07,
Well all I can say is, theres gonna be times you cant boil your water or otherwise filter, so its good to have a back up...
The water I've sterilised with it is the clearest sparkliest I ever did see and taste. Like I said it even improves the look of our tap water so fluck knows what was floating about in that...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
20 December 2011, 00:43,
(19 December 2011, 17:07)mikebratcher69 Wrote: Well all I can say is, theres gonna be times you cant boil your water or otherwise filter, so its good to have a back up...
The water I've sterilised with it is the clearest sparkliest I ever did see and taste. Like I said it even improves the look of our tap water so fluck knows what was floating about in that...

I agree we need to store a range of water treatments, I myself will try always to bag filter/boil then berkey filter, but understand that is not always the possible.

I bulk buy the yank army water tablets, as much as I feel you got a good deal at pound land I myself am on the fence, you say no use/exp date on the box? That rings alarm bells for me.

Is there a product name?