Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHEEPLE!!!
14 October 2013, 17:11,
RE: SHEEPLE!!!
(14 October 2013, 17:07)bigpaul Wrote:
(14 October 2013, 17:00)Scythe13 Wrote: What are sheeple? I see only those that have prepared, and those that have not. All have the will to survive. It just happens that not all are exercising their survival instincts.
I don't agree, many times have I been told by someone" I don't want to survive if I cant have my Xbox, Iphone, the latest TV, or watch Deadenders, Xfactor, Come dancing/Big brother etc etc. many people will expect "the govt to provide" and will wait too long for that (non existent) help to come, so I don't agree they've "all got the will to survive"..many will not.

That's just an expression mate. I really don't see people rolling over, curling into a ball, and dropping dead, just because their mobile phone dies. Think about kids that go to school (8 hours no XBox). Powercuts, sleep, shopping trips, etc. No time for XBoxes there.

Honestly mate, do you, hand on your heart, believe a VAST number of people will shrivel up and die, just because their entertainment vanishes?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 October 2013, 17:18,
(14 October 2013, 17:11)Scythe13 Wrote: Honestly mate, do you, hand on your heart, believe a VAST number of people will shrivel up and die, just because their entertainment vanishes?

No, not shrivel up and die, but a lot will not be able to cope without the internet/mobile phone etc, I think they will just go crazy and I mean C R A Z Y!! most people have never had to live without electricity, street lights or flushing toilets...they just wont be able to handle it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 October 2013, 17:19,
the suicide rate will go through the roof if some big did happen as there will be many that don't want to live in the world that is such a struggle and some will just hit the point when they give up

personally I'm looking/hoping at getting to the other side of the chaos with my family
14 October 2013, 17:25,
(14 October 2013, 17:19)I-K-E Wrote: the suicide rate will go through the roof if some big did happen as there will be many that don't want to live in the world that is such a struggle and some will just hit the point when they give up

absolutely, I came to that conclusion a long time ago. at least it will give the rest of us-the ones who intend on surviving- a bit more breathing space.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 October 2013, 18:16,
There will be some that get to that point for sure. But there will be MANY more that actually break through that point.
14 October 2013, 18:40,
depends on a lot of factors, how they were brought up/dragged up, their lifestyle(how much will they lose when it all goes "pear shaped"), what kind of person they are(do they give up easily, do they get stressed, how are they in a crisis ?), don't forget MOST people obey the rules, do what their told and behave like good little citizens, what happens when it all falls apart and their is no system to fall back on? most people will do one of three things, resign themselves to whatever happens, go crazy or commit suicide.
14 October 2013, 19:34,
I agree with the way you see it Binnie , only thing I would add it will be much worse than any of us can even try to imagaine , MUCH worse.
14 October 2013, 20:38,
A story of the dependent welfare class in America....

In the UK you may not know how "food stamp cards" work today. When the poor file for benefits, the government gives them an EBT (electronic benefit transfer) card which works similar to an ATM card. In California, it takes only about an hour for people who qualify to get one, which is worth about $200.00 a month for one person. At the grocery store, the balance remaining on the card is checked automatically when making a purchase. There are people who because of age and disability who need these cards, so I won't go into the politics of their use. What I want to point out is that it only takes a relatively computer glitch to result in store shelves being stripped bare in panic buying. When a serious event occurs in a large city bare grocery store shelves will be the norm, not an aberration. Good reason to store food even in normal times.

http://www.ksla.com/story/23679489/walma...ebt-glitch

MANSFIELD, LA (KSLA) - Shelves in Walmart stores in Springhill and Mansfield, LA were reportedly cleared Saturday night, when the stores allowed purchases on EBT cards even though computers were not showing limits. The chaos that followed ultimately required intervention from local police, and left behind numerous carts filled to overflowing, apparently abandoned when the glitch-spurred shopping frenzy ended......

Evans believes it was natural human reaction that led people to fill up their carts during the glitch, but Walmart shoppers Stan and Judy Garcia feel very differently. "That's plain theft, that's stealing that's all I got to say about it," said Garcia. A dispatcher for Mansfield police also confirms officers were called in for crowd control at the Mansfield Walmart. She said the shelves were cleared out, forcing Walmart to stop selling food at 9 p.m. There were no arrests......

It all happened at the end of a day in which the EBT system went down in several states, including Louisiana. Xerox, a vendor for the EBT system, experienced a power outage while conducting a routine backup test in one of the company's locations. While the system was back up Saturday night, it appears that it was not functioning entirely properly in some areas.

Kayla Whaling, a spokesperson for Walmart, tells KSLA News 12 that the company was "fully engaged and monitoring the situation and transactions during the outage."

"We did make the decision to continue to accept EBT cards (and purchases on WIC and SNAP) during the outage so that they could get food for their families."

Asked whether Walmart would be taking the loss on any food purchased on the cards that did not show limits, or on the perishable food left behind in carts, Whaling would only say that "we monitored transactions during the outage."

A spokesperson for the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services says they take all allegations of potential fraud seriously, they are aware of the reports and they will be investigating.

According to a notice posted on the LA DSFS website on Saturday:

"While transactional systems maintained by DCFS contractors may have been impacted by today's outage, the systems that DCFS uses to track EBT card usage and identify fraud were still in place. DCFS vigorously investigates all fraud claims. Anyone suspected of fraudulently using public assistance benefits are investigated and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The public is encouraged to report cases of suspected SNAP fraud by calling the DCFS toll-free hotline at 1-888-LAHELP-U and selecting option 7 from the main menu or by visiting http://www.dcfs.la.gov/ReportFraud."

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
14 October 2013, 21:04,
(14 October 2013, 17:18)bigpaul Wrote: No, not shrivel up and die, but a lot will not be able to cope without the internet/mobile phone etc, I think they will just go crazy and I mean C R A Z Y!! most people have never had to live without electricity, street lights or flushing toilets...they just wont be able to handle it.

To be fair mate, the crazy things me and my wife have been though, many people ask us "How do you cope?" The simple response is "You just have to get on with it." That's the same that many many people will see. I think even a suicide rate of 10% is vastly over exaggerating the odds. More like 3% or 4%. The thing is, as humans, we are the same, genetically, as before all this modern technology. Granted our outlook on life has changed, but the core of every person is the same as their great grandparents.

I'm working on a figure of a 20% die off, at most. that way, if the die off is larger, life will be easier. If the die off is as expected, then we're ready for that.

Where did I get this number from? I plucked it from thin air. No joke. There is no reason to believe a 5% die off is any more likely than a 50% die off.

Even though BP has quoted the UK can feed 16million people, that's using boring basic farming. Add in Aquaponics and the alike, and you can feed over 20 times that number. A person can be fed, quite well, year round, on a little over a tennis court area of land. The only thing they cannot get from that land, grains, which you technically don't need...but are great for B vitamins.

The truth is, we have no idea how many will die off. Working on a large figure could well lead to being grossly underprepared for the numbers of people around after the first year of life post SHTF.

People are a threat, and they are first and foremost, animals. Animals have an INNATE will to survive. FEW will commit suicide early on. Numbers along 1 in 20 or 1 in 25 are still pretty high, in my opinion.
14 October 2013, 21:11,
`Sheeple` is a strange word anyway, it indicates that everyone [other than us ] are the same, and that they will all follow each other into some sort of disaster,.... but that is no-where near correct, there are lots and lots of different people with different ideas, from the people who cant live without technology, who wouldn't know what to do, and so would end up doing nothing,... to people who are brighter and will know what they should be doing, but dont have the skills to complete it all........... through to many, many people out there who would have the knowledge, the skills and the courage to go out and survive without ever being a prepper

....and it is the last group who will become a threat, they have the skills to be a threat, they have not prepared anything, but have the skills to obtain it, who have never thought of leaving home and who have never heard of `bugging out`,... but have the skills and the knowledge to do just that,.... they could well be a threat, and there are likely to be thousands of them
A major part of survival is invisibility.