Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schrade survival axe
14 October 2013, 13:38,
Schrade survival axe
I know there are a few threads on axes, so sorry to spam....

I included this in my kit for the October dartmoor meet.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/schra...4318-p.asp

Description:This axe from Schrade is not only super tough it is just a good idea. A good cutting tool and the ability to start fir are the basic fundamenta;s of survival and Schrade have combined the 2 into 1. You've seen it done with knives, now it is with a axe.

The axe features a 3.80 in. blade head made out of 3Cr13 stainless steel that has a wickedly sharp cutting edge with a hammer feature/head on the back side. The head is sealed in a thermoplastic rubber handle which is 12 in. in overall length.

The integreated Firestarter stores in the base of the handle handle and the axe comes with a super tough hard plastic sheath.
Weight: 1 lb. 7.1 oz.

It worked really well when we tested it in the field. Its lightweight and cuts well so I can recommend this one.

Lol also heaps better than S13's tommahawk Tongue
14 October 2013, 16:52,
RE: Schrade survival axe
I, for one, did find the cutting ability of MCavity's hand axe to be much better than my 'hawk. However, having said that, we'll compare the 2 on the next camp mate. I've been modding my 'hawk a 'little' and it's a bit better than before.

Having said the above challenge, Schrade do make very good equipment for the cost! You get a lot more bang for your buck. Also, as a straight out of the box item, it is sharp and ready to go. Pop it open and you're ready to start chopping. With it being a smaller handle, you'd expect less power, and you do. However, the angle of contact was really good, and as a result, the force you put went straight through the wood.

It's not my bag, but if you're an axe person, this is a very safe bet. For the price, and what you get in return, you can't go wrong.

My only issue, and it's not just this axe, it's all that have this feature, a synthetic handle can render an item useless if it breaks. This is my only criticism.

Overall, 4.5*

Beat on it for a while MCavity, and that'll be a much better test for it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 October 2013, 13:00,
Will do S13. I will have my open fire going soon, so I expect the axe to have alot more use Smile
16 October 2013, 10:39,
I'm already modifying the 'HAWK!!! Well catching your Schrade survival axe. Have wrapped just below the head with paracord, so it's holding it tight, but also adding a handle just below the head, which makes hammering much easier, with the back of the head.

I'll post up about the mods I've done.

For your Axe, is the back of it is flat like a hammer or ridged like a meat tenderiser? If it's like a tenderiser, personally, I'd smooth out a section of it to use as a flat hammer head. Only a small amount though.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin