Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing tins in a damp environment
14 October 2013, 23:52,
Storing tins in a damp environment
Looking for helpful advice on this one please.

My wife still thinks I'm crackers for trying to prep for things going wrong & won't have more than 4 weeks food in the house, which is fine if any event only lasts 4 weeks & only if it waits until we have been shopping 1st. However back in reality, I know it won't be like that.

My only storage option is my shed which gets damp & has had mice the past 2 winters. I'm hoping I've sorted the damp via air holes drilled into the doors but can't guarantee it. My thoughts for storage was the plastic storage boxes with tinned food inside & on the top layer, have an open tub of salt or rice to absorb any moisture trapped in the box & a lid on the storage box to try & exclude more air getting inside (I know I can't eliminate all of the air holes, but I can try).

Basically, I'm hoping the rigid plastic tubs raised off floor level will be enough to stop any mice from getting in & the salt or rice will absorb any moisture to stop the tins rusting. Does anybody see any problems with this method & have any alternative ideas (other than a new wife Smile )?

Thanks
15 October 2013, 03:12,
RE: Storing tins in a damp environment
If the tubs have air tight seals the tins won't rust. Otherwise i would stack the tins in watertight, containers, or shrink wrap cardboard cartons containing them. An old,nolonger used refrigerator makes a good storage locker for tinned goods and protects them from heat, light or rapid temperature changes which cause condensation of ambient moisture from the air, which would cause the tins to rust.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
15 October 2013, 08:19,
I use a variety of containers for outside use,..

think large paint tubs, look up your local painter and decorator, he would be please to see you take his empties,..also the same sort of container that hold fence preservative, or go to your local hotels and ask for their containers that they get cooking oil delivered in.
I even ask the farmers to save me the container that hold the sheep licks in,...all these items are thrown away after use
A major part of survival is invisibility.
15 October 2013, 09:25,
(15 October 2013, 08:19)Highlander Wrote: I use a variety of containers for outside use,..

think large paint tubs, look up your local painter and decorator, he would be please to see you take his empties,..also the same sort of container that hold fence preservative, or go to your local hotels and ask for their containers that they get cooking oil delivered in.
I even ask the farmers to save me the container that hold the sheep licks in,...all these items are thrown away after use

Would these tubs be suitable for holding tins inside though? Cheers
15 October 2013, 11:28, (This post was last modified: 15 October 2013, 11:30 by Straight Shooter.)
Plastic tubs is the way to go rob, I am about to use my bottom shed for this ,I plan on linning the shelves with 25mm insulation .....sheet form...... and encase the tubs between layers then shrink wrap ,might sound over the top but what's the point if you make no effort to keep and store your stuff safe.

Straw is a good insulater to rob .
15 October 2013, 11:31,
(15 October 2013, 11:28)Straight Shooter Wrote: Plastic tubs is the way to go rob, I am about to use my bottom shed for this ,I plan on linning the shelves with 25mm insulation .....sheet form...... and encase the tubs between layers then shrink wrap ,might sound over the top but what's the point if you make no effort to keep and store your stuff safe.

Straw is a good insulater to rob .

I thought my idea would work but was looking for confirmation from more experienced preppers.
15 October 2013, 11:59,
what about 30 litre plastic containers ?, i'm thinking the blue tubs with the close fitting lids , I saw some on Ebay the other day £9.99.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 October 2013, 15:31,
yes BP you can put these below ground .....like root cellars doing that shortley as well
15 October 2013, 20:26,
(15 October 2013, 09:25)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(15 October 2013, 08:19)Highlander Wrote: I use a variety of containers for outside use,..

Would these tubs be suitable for holding tins inside though? Cheers

Yes,.. anything that will keep out the moisture from the tins when outside, will do a good job inside,... and remember that most [ if not all ] these type of containers `stack`, so you can store a great deal within a couple of feet of floor space
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 October 2013, 13:50,
Thanks for the replies guys.

What affect (if any) would repeated freezing/thawing have on the food inside the tins if stored in the shed over winter? There's the obvious risk of the tins bursting as the tins freeze & the water expands.

Cheers in advance.