Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing tins in a damp environment
20 October 2013, 13:57,
RE: Storing tins in a damp environment
that's one reason I don't store tins in my shed, the continuing difference in temperature, if you stored them in a large plastic container in the ground- like a root cellar sort of thing like SS says- I believe the ground would keep a constant temperature and so you wouldn't have this problem-allegedly!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 October 2013, 14:11,
Interesting point about freezing,... I dont believe mine would reach anywhere near freezing, but for the future I would like to know the answer to this.

Off the top of my head, I think if I was going to store where freezing might be a problem then I think that I might change my containers from plastic to the polystyrene fish boxes,... or at least protect the plastic containers with something like garden fleece, that's designed to protect plants from freezing
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 October 2013, 14:13,
You could dip your tins into varnish, so they have a clear lacquer.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
20 October 2013, 17:46, (This post was last modified: 20 October 2013, 17:49 by Straight Shooter.)
Like a have already said , if yo insulate all around your containers weather it be straw,quilt insulation then cover with clingfilm this should protect your tins.....better still fill the voids around your tins with vermicalite or simular , don't forget condensasion I know this is expensive but it wold be such a waste and moral buster o open a tin of shit, when I was a kid grampy used to store spud,sweedes,and carrots in layers of straw in the old barn ......like most farmers did.......this worked a treat......and apples comet to think of it .....then he would stack bales around that to make a clamp ....they could I'll afford to waste any food then , adopt those ways they are well tried and tested.

This tablet is pissing me rite off!
20 October 2013, 18:47,
(20 October 2013, 17:46)Straight Shooter Wrote: Like a have already said , if yo insulate all around your containers weather it be straw,quilt insulation then cover with clingfilm this should protect your tins.....better still fill the voids around your tins with vermicalite or simular , don't forget condensasion I know this is expensive but it wold be such a waste and moral buster o open a tin of shit, when I was a kid grampy used to store spud,sweedes,and carrots in layers of straw in the old barn ......like most farmers did.......this worked a treat......and apples comet to think of it .....then he would stack bales around that to make a clamp ....they could I'll afford to waste any food then , adopt those ways they are well tried and tested.

This tablet is pissing me rite off!

Auto-correct is great isn't it Smile I might give the shed a miss, stick the storage boxes in the loft & put a roll of loft insulation over them. Just wish I could get the wife more onboard. Still, storing a months worth of food that she tolerates is better than when I 1st set out prepping.
21 October 2013, 10:05,
I your looking at cans you could try gutter down pipe when it's full just cap the ends
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
30 October 2013, 19:17,
Industrial heavy duty plastic containers are good as they don't hold the cold as metal does, place thick cardboard all around the container and stack the tins on a good layer of carboard as well .Use a moisture absorber for condensation and shrink wrap the whole thing in the event of a hole developing in the roof of the shed

You need to look at other options of where else you can store your tins though - bottom of clothes cupboard, under the bed etc, because in the event a major event occurring, there is an immediate risk of theives getting into the shed - particularly more so if you have anything growing in your garden.

if you absolutely have no space at all in the house, bury some of your tinned stuff in the garden -get a blue plastic barrell with a lid - again use cardboard - and stack - pop moisture absorber and oxygen absorber in the barrell and bury. - think of your location - easily accessible - out of view from neighbours - if neighbours can see the area you want to dig - get some greenhouses so you can work discreetly - again you need to think of retrieval in the event of an emergency.

The key is you don't want to end up with a situation where your supplies are all taken and your left with nothing more than 1-3 days worth of food in the house
30 October 2013, 19:45,
I store a lot of tins indoors but also use shed going to get more air tight boxes 4 .oo in asda also used kickboard s under kitchen cupboardsRolleyes
31 October 2013, 09:35,
(30 October 2013, 19:45)GrannyMike Wrote: I store a lot of tins indoors but also use shed going to get more air tight boxes 4 .oo in asda also used kickboard s under kitchen cupboardsRolleyes

loads of space under the kickboards even in a small kitchen like I have

we've not had to use them yet as the OH is well on board

mind you I'am think of using the space under kitchen units for bottles of water
31 October 2013, 12:41,
(15 October 2013, 11:59)bigpaul Wrote: what about 30 litre plastic containers ?, i'm thinking the blue tubs with the close fitting lids , I saw some on Ebay the other day £9.99.
Pound Stretchers sell these 2 for £10 if you have one near you.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.