Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracking your plant progress
15 October 2013, 22:51,
Tracking your plant progress
This thread is to encourage people to track, log, and share their plant learning progress.

1 plant a day. Name. Picture (use a link), and facts about it, e.g. edible berries, good fire wood, inner bark can be used for cordage, etc. If the plant has no survival use, say so. That's still important info for the site.

Today's tree, for me.

Tulip Tree
Liriodendron Tulipifera

Leaf: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/resources-rx/images...7590_1.jpg

Tree:
Summer: http://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/images...089000.jpg

Facts:
Young tree's bark is great for making baskets.
Flowers produce so much nectar you can literally get a sip of honey style liquid from them.

Medical:
http://www.gardenguides.com/128264-medic...-tree.html
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 October 2013, 14:12, (This post was last modified: 18 October 2013, 14:13 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
RE: Tracking your plant progress
A tree native to North America...

Do we see this in the UK?

18 October 2013, 17:32,
We do get some GG,.. I pass one every day, a very large tree outside a local hotel,.... but I dont know of any more, they cant be that common, at least not in these neck of the woods
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 October 2013, 23:00,
I've seen a few in the local area. The idea of this thread wasn't exactly to debate my plants, but for other people to put their plants in.
19 October 2013, 00:58, (This post was last modified: 19 October 2013, 01:00 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Didn't intend a debate, just asking what I see as a legitimate question...

I still think it's a great idea for an on-going thread and will follow it with interest...

19 October 2013, 10:01,
(19 October 2013, 00:58)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Didn't intend a debate, just asking what I see as a legitimate question...

I still think it's a great idea for an on-going thread and will follow it with interest...

This thread isn't my plant tracking thread about what I've learned. My dad used to love gardening and at one point I had over 100 different plants in my bedroom as a kid. This thread isn't for me and my plant knowledge, it's for you to track YOUR plant ID and knowledge. You being ANYONE and EVERYONE on the forum. If you've learned a new plant today, you type up the info, add the picture.

I put the Tulip Tree up because I'd seen it and it was one I'd not really noticed before, so logged it. Doing that has kept it in my mind and I won't forget it now. I could have gone into Elder, Acer, Beech, Birch, Poplar, and many many others that I already know, and have put more info into, but this thread is about plants YOU'VE learned.