Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Heating (Calor/Butane gas)
16 October 2013, 00:43,
Emergency Heating (Calor/Butane gas)
Just a question. I'm sure we all know of the large Calor gas heaters that use the big butane cylinders. Had one of these in the 70's when I were a nipper and didn't seem to be any problem that I know of Big Grin

So, why is it that the small butane canister camping type heaters are not recommended to be used indoors? It's the same gas as the larger models. Is it because the large ones are designed for indoor use and give off less fumes, or is it that the smaller ones are less safe, or a bit of both??

LAC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
16 October 2013, 05:23,
RE: Emergency Heating (Calor/Butane gas)
Key to using any space heater indoors, is that you absolutely MUST have a CO detector, and ensure adequate ventilation.

From my disaster response experience monitoring CO in homes where people had used kerosene or LPG heaters, ev en with supposed precautions for ventilation, the CO levels monitored with calibrated instrumentation were unsafe and is these people had slept in dwellings we monitored, without positive pressure ventilation they would have died.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6030a2.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/co/

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
16 October 2013, 07:12,
(16 October 2013, 00:43)LawAbidingCitizen Wrote: Just a question. I'm sure we all know of the large Calor gas heaters that use the big butane cylinders. Had one of these in the 70's when I were a nipper and didn't seem to be any problem that I know of Big Grin

So, why is it that the small butane canister camping type heaters are not recommended to be used indoors? It's the same gas as the larger models. Is it because the large ones are designed for indoor use and give off less fumes, or is it that the smaller ones are less safe, or a bit of both??

LAC

they still give off fumes bud, and a lot of water vapour, which can lead to mould and damp.

IIRC most house insurance companies, landlords and housing associations won't look too kindly on this type of heater.

They were brilliant when we were kids, there was always arguments about who got to sit next to it in the kitchen at meal times lol!

if you have one of these cheap chinese single hob cookers that take the gas canisters, they can put off a fair amount of heat, that'll be my last resort if things get cold
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
16 October 2013, 08:37,
If you had to use one of these heaters in an emergency, butane is supposedly safer than propane but there must be proper ventilation whichever you use. As has been said, a CO detector really is a must.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
16 October 2013, 08:58,
Outdoor heaters are made to a lower standard of efficiency, and do not have layered burning, e.g. look on the front of a calor heater, they have multiple layers of burning. This reduces the likelihood of Carbon-monoxide (CO) being released into the atmosphere.

The smaller outdoor camp gas heaters are pretty inefficient burners and do release some CO...as expected. But they are used in a well ventilated area, e.g. a tent. Which means less of a danger of carbon monoxide poisoning for the users.

Also, it's just a good security cover for the companies to write 'not for indoor use' on their stuff, so incase something does go wrong (in my opinion, it's very unlikely anything will go wrong) then they're covered and can't be sued.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 October 2013, 14:42,
Thanks for your replies. I did suspect it was partly a quality issue between the large calor heaters and the small camping heaters. jumpers and extra blankets it is then if TSHTF.
16 October 2013, 15:21,
(16 October 2013, 14:42)LawAbidingCitizen Wrote: Thanks for your replies. I did suspect it was partly a quality issue between the large calor heaters and the small camping heaters. jumpers and extra blankets it is then if TSHTF.
http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=6152

I have 4 of these now, and they're working a treat so far.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 October 2013, 15:47,
(16 October 2013, 15:21)Scythe13 Wrote:
(16 October 2013, 14:42)LawAbidingCitizen Wrote: Thanks for your replies. I did suspect it was partly a quality issue between the large calor heaters and the small camping heaters. jumpers and extra blankets it is then if TSHTF.
http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=6152

I have 4 of these now, and they're working a treat so far.
Thanks mate, as it says 'ingenious'. Going to set about making one.
17 October 2013, 11:07, (This post was last modified: 17 October 2013, 11:08 by Steve.)
I love that heater design, well found. Remember that the best way to heat yourself is a hot meal / drink, so you could use your candle to make a brew.

Also, heat up some water for your hot water bottle and slip it inside your thermals.
18 October 2013, 21:58,
Just made one of these babies (pot heater) today and testing it out now, it really is fantastic. I have used three tea candles to heat it which each last about four hours. You can buy 100 from IKEA for £1.75. I would estimate it is putting out somewhere in the region of 300 watts. Which means it costs about three quarters of a pence to run for an hour!! Thanks Scythe13 for letting me about this, most impressed.