Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulleys
18 October 2013, 23:56,
RE: Pulleys
Many trolleys, scooters and kids toys use plastic wheels with a moulded on rubber tyre. The tyre can be removed to leave a plastic pulley.
19 October 2013, 00:15,
if you check out wranglestar on yt hes got a great vid useing two posts and some rope to move fallen down trees, you may be able to use the idea to move a stuck car Smile
Survive the jive (youtube )
19 October 2013, 01:40,
(18 October 2013, 21:58)Timelord Wrote: I am sure that somewhere I have seen in a documentary about special forces sometimes using them for crossing rivers. That would mean at least one of the squad must carry some and it is already a tried and tested option. I suspect mountain troops do this also. TL.

On river crossings, they would be used not only for for smoother passage across the rope but to apply the necessary tension to the rope before making a crossing.

Very often, they're carried by mountain leaders to apply similar tension for a Tyrolean traverse or to hoist a casualty. On instructors assessments, the assessor will sometimes ask for a look at what you have, then drop it over the edge with an 'Oops!' to force you into an alternative method (2 or 3 to 1 pull, using krabs, slings and prussic loops) just to make sure you know how!

Pulleys, from the very small to the ginormous are bound to have multiple uses post event...

19 October 2013, 10:03,
(18 October 2013, 23:56)Steve Wrote: Many trolleys, scooters and kids toys use plastic wheels with a moulded on rubber tyre. The tyre can be removed to leave a plastic pulley.

Any idea of their weight capabilities? I know shopping trolley wheels (once the rubber is taken off) can take at least half a tonne. We used to have them as the pulleys in the gym equipment up in Warrington.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin