Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SHEEPLE turned PREPPER
27 October 2013, 14:15,
RE: SHEEPLE turned PREPPER
SS looking at the video I think you should be able to embed pipework (poss as a coil around the chimney pipe) in the thermal mass for a heat exchanger not sure how it would work in terms of what temperature the water would get to though
27 October 2013, 20:06,
Thanks IKE, I was thinking 10mm mirobore......would work for hot water , and at a push two rads maybe , on seperate feeds.
27 October 2013, 21:25,
(27 October 2013, 01:13)Controversy Wrote: When SHTF the 1st thing im going to do is take out my oldmans wood stove. No offence guys but wood stoves are like a 4.0 litre gasoline engine with 3 turbos inside.

I will build a rocket mass heater asap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoW-ICO83hM

Extremely fuel efficient and produce more heat than wood stoves.

Simple. In a wood stove you are not allowing gasification to happen and your letting those particles that create Syngas escape though the chimney. In the rocket mass heater the Syngas ignites .

In the UK, most people live in smoke control zones. If you are going to be fitting a stove in these areas, you have to fit a clean burning one - these burn off the gases.

A rocket mass heater - so long as you have lots and lots of mass - holds the heat in the building. However, a properly designed and build chimney breast will hold a hell of a lot of heat from a stove too.

Not so sure I build a rocket mass heater unless I was designing the rest of the structure around it, probably work out better money wise to buy a high efficiency stove.
28 October 2013, 10:30,
(27 October 2013, 01:13)Controversy Wrote: Simple. In a wood stove you are not allowing gasification to happen and your letting those particles that create Syngas escape though the chimney. In the rocket mass heater the Syngas ignites .

A modern clean burn stove has two combustion areas and two air intakes. The first combustion is a small high temperature zone, where syngas and small particle carbon is created, these are mixed with fresh air and burned in the second combustion zone. Temperatures in the second zone can be very high indeed. My stove had a water jacket surrounding the second zone, it was very efficient.

The ultimate limit on how much heat you can extract is the flue temperature, it has to be hot enough to cause a good draw up the chimney.

My ideal stove would have an air intake from outside, to stop it pulling warm room air up the chimney, a secondary burn zone in a water jacket, and a high thermal mass to even out the temperature spikes in the house.
30 October 2013, 23:59,
Neighbour I spoke about is 100% prepper!!!

Years of food storage and the alike. A brilliant person, friend, and an ally.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 October 2013, 08:53,
You lucky bugger S that's awesome !
6 November 2013, 23:03,
Not quite a prepper, to my knowledge, but an ally in my survival skills and the alike.

Military instructor, friend of the neighbours, met at a fireworks display. The guy is a right laugh and well up for training and the alike. Top guy, and a very helpful person to know.

Forming a strong little crew down this way.
7 November 2013, 17:28,
Sounds like that was well met Scythe - good job!

7 November 2013, 17:41,
Scythe, be VERY careful of your OPSEC! don't say too much, especially to a NEW "friend".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 November 2013, 19:46,
(7 November 2013, 17:41)bigpaul Wrote: Scythe, be VERY careful of your OPSEC! don't say too much, especially to a NEW "friend".

Thanks mate. I've got a plan already. Basically he wants to train with someone and I'm happy to learn. If anything happens, I'll grab him and bring him aboard...if I feel I can trust him enough.

One of the main things is that he's up for teaching me weapons and tactics. I think he's trying to get me to enlist haha.