Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival knife sharpener
30 October 2013, 14:17,
Survival knife sharpener
Anyone have any suggestions for knife sharpening or any links to some good knife sharpeners? I have the Accusharpe sharpener but it is really designed for kitchen knifes and difficult to sharpen a survival knife with it to a fine sharpness.

LAC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
30 October 2013, 14:26,
RE: Survival knife sharpener
I use a carborundum stone-an oval one meant for scythes- cracked into 2 or 3 smaller pieces with a hammer!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 October 2013, 15:47,
(30 October 2013, 14:26)bigpaul Wrote: I use a carborundum stone-an oval one meant for scythes- cracked into 2 or 3 smaller pieces with a hammer!!Big Grin
Thanks
30 October 2013, 15:57,
In a survival situation, any stone would serve, to put an edge on a blade.

WaylanderBig Grin
30 October 2013, 16:24, (This post was last modified: 30 October 2013, 16:29 by Mortblanc.)
(30 October 2013, 15:57)Waylander Wrote: In a survival situation, any stone would serve, to put an edge on a blade.

WaylanderBig Grin

That depends on your definition of an edge and the use intended for the tool.

My sharpening kit includes a file for removing large flaws, and I have sharpened hatchets and machetes using smooth stones in the past, but I want an edge on my knives that is either shaving sharp or close to it. That can not be accomplished with a broken chunk of concrete.

I keep a diamond hone card in my wallet and a more course diamond sharpener on my keychain.

My favorite bushcraft knives have a stone pouch incorporated in the sheath.

[Image: IMG_0987_zps4328fdd2.jpg]
30 October 2013, 16:51, (This post was last modified: 30 October 2013, 17:13 by Waylander.)
(30 October 2013, 16:24)Mortblanc Wrote: That depends on your definition of an edge and the use intended for the tool.

My definition, and funnily enough Bob Loveless' s aswell

Wink

WaylanderCool

In Bob's own words;

On a hunt many years ago, any knife would have been welcome. You see I'd forgotten to pack a knife with my hunting gear. When I arrived at the ranch where the hunt was to occur, the hour was late and the nearest town 40 miles away. Knifeless, alone and left with no alternative, I rummaged through every cupboard and drawer in the tiny cabin looking for some type of edged tool. Finally I discovered a paring knife of dubious age and construction.

Of course the knife was dull and the edge was chipped, but a little whetstone work would fix that. Unfortunately my whetstone was at home with my knife. However there was a concrete step outside of the cabin. With a splash of soapy water for lubricant, the right sharpening angle and a serious expenditure of effort, I was able to produce an almost adequate edge on that little knife...Before the hunt was over, I used that knife to field-dress and skin a bull elk

Bob's hand made knifes sell for up to a quarter of a million dollarsCool

So If he says it can be done on a concrete step in an emergency, I for one will not argue Wink

WaylanderCool
30 October 2013, 17:22,
(30 October 2013, 16:24)Mortblanc Wrote:
(30 October 2013, 15:57)Waylander Wrote: In a survival situation, any stone would serve, to put an edge on a blade.

WaylanderBig Grin

That depends on your definition of an edge and the use intended for the tool.

My sharpening kit includes a file for removing large flaws, and I have sharpened hatchets and machetes using smooth stones in the past, but I want an edge on my knives that is either shaving sharp or close to it. That can not be accomplished with a broken chunk of concrete.

I keep a diamond hone card in my wallet and a more course diamond sharpener on my keychain.

My favorite bushcraft knives have a stone pouch incorporated in the sheath.

[Image: IMG_0987_zps4328fdd2.jpg]
Thanks Moutblanc. Where did you pick up the keychain sharpener? Do you have a web link?
30 October 2013, 20:39,
I buy most of my knife trinkets here;

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pro...9/ELH.html

SMKW has a wealth of items.

While Bob Loveless might have used a paring knife sharpened on a rock in an emergency, his high dollar knives were not sharpened on a rock. I doubt that anyone who owned one would appreciate that suggestion.

Bob was known to stretch the truth for dramatic effect at times;

A primer knife maker forgetting his one and only knife? Not in this lifetime.

On an elk hunt, alone, which is also not normal.

And no one had either extra knife or whetstone? Also an unlikely occurrence.

All of it is as unlikely as having a concrete step on a wilderness hunting cabin.
30 October 2013, 20:43,
(30 October 2013, 20:39)Mortblanc Wrote: I buy most of my knife trinkets here;

While Bob Loveless might have used a paring knife sharpened on a rock in an emergency, his high dollar knives were not sharpened on a rock. I doubt that anyone who owned one would appreciate that suggestion.

All of it is as unlikely as having a concrete step on a wilderness hunting cabin.

SadSo Bob was a liar SadSadSad

How sad, I always liked him, never had him down as a liar.

WaylanderRolleyesShy
30 October 2013, 20:47,
(30 October 2013, 20:39)Mortblanc Wrote: I buy most of my knife trinkets here;

Thanks