Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candles + Blackouts + Idiots = oops
31 October 2013, 20:04,
Candles + Blackouts + Idiots = oops
Hi everyone.

This isn't exactly a security thread, but it is a safety thread.

Basically, when people try to turn on candles in blackout situations, they seem to lose what little common sense they had in the first place.

Fires are going to be a pretty common thing, and with all the stuff lately about power outs, energy shortages, and the alike, it has made me think about putting this thread into place.

Is it a rip on common sense? Yes. Should I expect better of preppers? Hell no! Preppers are people too, and we all do things and then realise 'oops' a little bit later.

Well, in times of blackouts and stuff like that, we should all take our time when lighting candles. Think about what you're doing and what's in the area around where you're lighting the candle.

More importantly, make sure you have a way to extinguish something, should an accident with fire occur. A small fire extinguisher will be a good starting place. Also, make sure you have a way to stop other people's fires catching your house.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 October 2013, 20:44,
RE: Candles + Blackouts + Idiots = oops
this is a big concern I have about being able to bug-in. neighbor is careless with a flame and all of a sudden the whole block is going up in flames.
31 October 2013, 21:43,
At £11 odd per extinguisher we should all have a couple.
I've got one downstairs and one upstairs

http://www.budget-fire.co.uk/2kg-powder-...tAoda0UAmg
31 October 2013, 22:42,
I make sure that I dont have candles outside of a container,.. all my larger candles are placed in Lantern type containers, so that they cant fall over, or get knocked over, and one of the advantage with these is that you can take them outside in the rain if needed

Some of the safest candles going are those tea candles, they cant be knocked over, being less than an inch high, they still give the same light and last about an hour each,..and cheap as chips to buy by the 100..[ about three quid n a half ]
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 October 2013, 23:07,
(31 October 2013, 22:42)Highlander Wrote: I make sure that I dont have candles outside of a container,.. all my larger candles are placed in Lantern type containers, so that they cant fall over, or get knocked over, and one of the advantage with these is that you can take them outside in the rain if needed

Some of the safest candles going are those tea candles, they cant be knocked over, being less than an inch high, they still give the same light and last about an hour each,..and cheap as chips to buy by the 100..[ about three quid n a half ]
I have found they actually last about 3 and a half hours on average.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
31 October 2013, 23:33,
(31 October 2013, 23:07)LawAbidingCitizen Wrote:
(31 October 2013, 22:42)Highlander Wrote: I make sure that I dont have candles outside of a container,.. all my larger candles are placed in Lantern type containers, so that they cant fall over, or get knocked over, and one of the advantage with these is that you can take them outside in the rain if needed

I have found they actually last about 3 and a half hours on average.

I have heard this too,...The wife likes to use them inside these scented things, [we use the larger ones for light] and I think it makes them burn a lot faster,... must try one out on its own
1 November 2013, 06:38,
Ditto. We get 3 hours burn time if the T lights are in lanterns.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 November 2013, 09:01,
Well I lit one after my last post, and had to blow it out at about 1230am, as I needed my beauty sleep, so that was two hours and still burning, so much better as a light than in a scented thingy
1 November 2013, 10:12,
in the old days we KNEW to put candles on a saucer-not a plastic one. people put them on top of tv's then they burn through the tv or they put them near the window...curtains don't half burn well!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2013, 10:55,
I got 3 candle lanterns in tesco large one for £1.50 on sale this week
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles