Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cultural items you hope to save?
1 November 2013, 15:58,
RE: Cultural items you hope to save?
(1 November 2013, 10:06)bigpaul Wrote: culture-what culture??

Classic!

I don't know who said "When I hear the word 'Kulture'. I reach for my gun." but it could have been BP Big GrinBig Grin

For me, well i'm going to be controversial ....

King James Bible
The 1662 Book of Common Prayer
The Complete Works of Shakespeare

and a compendium of Country Living
and crafts
1 November 2013, 16:08,
the current uk tax code and all european union diktats and regulations

that way i shall have lotsa toilet paperfor future use
1 November 2013, 17:23,
I doubt you have the storage space for all that. Maybe pre 1997 but not now.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 November 2013, 15:44,
I would keep a copy of hello magazine ( not in my book shelf ) but to show people why TSHTF
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
2 November 2013, 16:03,
"Camping & Woodcraft": Horace Kephart, 1917 USA, "Keeping poultry and Rabbits on scraps":Claude Goodchild & Alan Thompson, 2008 UK, "The complete book of Self sufficiency": John Seymour(this is OUR bible!) Big Grin, and from the OH: "the complete illustrated Holistic Herbal" by David Hoffman.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 November 2013, 18:01,
Useful books and cultural books are not always the same. As much as those are very helpful books BP, I hazard that they may not help our cultural development. But they are still good books mate.

Some very interesting choices here. Would like to see what MB and others from across the pond would pick out.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 November 2013, 18:29,
(2 November 2013, 18:01)Scythe13 Wrote: Useful books and cultural books are not always the same. As much as those are very helpful books BP, I hazard that they may not help our cultural development. But they are still good books mate.

well they're my kind of culture!!Tongue and more useful than anything by Shakespeare or Chaucer.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 November 2013, 19:29, (This post was last modified: 2 November 2013, 19:31 by Mortblanc.)
Culture falls into a two definition block my its nature;

1. material culture; The technology and the items needed to sustain that level of existence.

2. nonmaterial culture; Ideas, organization, art and tradition

Some phases of that overlap, as in an item that allows an art to exist, but the meaning of culture does include items and literature of practical value as well as artistic merit. While Kephart wrote the Camping and Woodcraft book he also did a treatise on the history and heritage of the people of the Southern Appellation mountains that is a true cultural study.

A culture can also exist without a civilization being present, since written language is necessary for a definition of civilization.

It also means that books are not actually necessary for the transfer of culture.
4 November 2013, 16:49,
Plato - Republic and Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged lol
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
6 November 2013, 11:42,
(2 November 2013, 16:03)bigpaul Wrote: "Camping & Woodcraft": Horace Kephart, 1917 USA, "Keeping poultry and Rabbits on scraps":Claude Goodchild & Alan Thompson, 2008 UK, "The complete book of Self sufficiency": John Seymour(this is OUR bible!) Big Grin, and from the OH: "the complete illustrated Holistic Herbal" by David Hoffman.

I have those! Camping & Woodcraft is exceedingly useful.

(2 November 2013, 18:01)Scythe13 Wrote: Useful books and cultural books are not always the same. As much as those are very helpful books BP, I hazard that they may not help our cultural development. But they are still good books mate.

No time for things that aren't useful. Dead weight. TP of firewood.
So none of that "culture" crap for me thanks, I want stuff I can use.