Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost effective solar set up
1 March 2012, 12:08,
RE: Cost effective solar set up
Forgot to show where it is all housed.

The batteries are housed in the bottom section, it is vented although I am using sealed batteries, the top holds the tv, regulator and inverter main control switch box and other odds.

The top door (bit with skull on) is also a table hence the two legs hanging on it.

[Image: U34a4LAH2oqwQXArRLWzNmVoz.jpg]
1 March 2012, 12:47,
it's really nice to see it all set up and going I'm sure you're relieved W&C. I'm sure I'm not the only jealous one Wink

out of interest what do you have this system planned for? is it a bit of an experiment or did you set out and say, ok, I want to power this, this and that, so I'll need 450 watts....

Also interested if you're planning to do more with the project Smile
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
1 March 2012, 14:38,
W&C, I'm planning a similar setup for a PS3 and a micro-projector. That'll be my home entertainment sorted, and no TV license to pay for either!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 March 2012, 14:55, (This post was last modified: 1 March 2012, 14:57 by Nemesis.)
My plans are quite basic.

Charge all my batteries I have invested in top of the range battery chargers, and I have quite a lot of torches and batteries to maintain, charge two way radios, cook and purifier water, entertainment Movie/TV shows a lot of education type shows I have saved, be it survival or other.

Other needs to be able to read through all my saved pdf files and eBooks and so on if the lights go out, I have backed up quite a lot of YouTube know how videos, I guess I am saying kind of a data bank power source.

Run lights in the garden and home as well if need be, but most of all its learning for the kids and fun all round to have, they have mates round watch movies in the garden, play music have a cook up.

It was just a dive in head first few years ago, I wanted a better understanding of it all so bought a 80 watt solar panel and hooked it up to an old car battery and played about with it, then I got another which got me to 160 watts and noticed I could do quite a lot with that, then around Xmas I wanted to get the setup to around 400 watt and there was a sale on 3 panels so went for it.

So no it was not really planned, I tend to do things quite fast I am more hands on type person I like to do and research same time, as doing a project.

My plans I have already made a mobile rig, and am thinking of a way to heat my chicken coop during the winter, and last of all I want to incorporate it in to my rain farm, like power a presser filter.

(1 March 2012, 14:38)Scythe13 Wrote: W&C, I'm planning a similar setup for a PS3 and a micro-projector. That'll be my home entertainment sorted, and no TV license to pay for either!

Oh yeh can run Xbox and tv an all that, think post shtf rechargeable batteries and communication devices.
1 March 2012, 15:46,
(1 March 2012, 14:55)WetandCold Wrote:
(1 March 2012, 14:38)Scythe13 Wrote: W&C, I'm planning a similar setup for a PS3 and a micro-projector. That'll be my home entertainment sorted, and no TV license to pay for either!
Oh yeh can run Xbox and tv an all that, think post shtf rechargeable batteries and communication devices.

I've already got most my mobile devices off grid. FreeLoaders are great for smaller items. But they also have a great battery charger unit available as well. I'm going for 2 of those shortly. As well as a larger FreeLoader charge pack.

Want to get the PS3 and Projector solar just to save money and incase of powercuts, I'll still be entertained haha.
2 March 2012, 04:18,
This is good charger.

MA-808M Professional Charger for 8 Batteries
2 March 2012, 09:41,
(2 March 2012, 04:18)WetandCold Wrote: This is good charger.
MA-808M Professional Charger for 8 Batteries

That looks alright actually. I probably should have explained FreeLoaders better. They're solar chargers.

The Nano's are awesome! Get one, get the small rubber case thing for it, clip it to your bag when hiking or just out and about, next thing you know, you can plug your phone in and give it a full charge!!! They're super light as well.

WTSHTF, my iPod (iPhone) will be singing pretty haha.