Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Food Storage Items That Will Last Longer Than Any Apocalypse
18 November 2014, 21:07,
RE: 5 Food Storage Items That Will Last Longer Than Any Apocalypse
(18 November 2014, 18:31)Straight Shooter Wrote: How often do you check your food prepps ? ...checked my Tinned food today...something giving off a smell....and yet again......the tinned fruit ...and some tinned tomato,s were to blame.....checked back about six months ago ....the same results then .....i am now going to check every two months....rice pasta, seem fine in their packets ...inside a plastic dust bin .....how are you finding things ?

Were the tins damaged or swollen?

I've not had problems with tins before, I even remember opening a tin (of what turned out to be tomatoes) that had been lost and forgotten in my parents shed (big old Nissan hut), the tin was completely rusted on the outside, but the contents all looked fine. No idea how old it was, but it had been there for years.....
18 November 2014, 21:27,
Not swollen Dev .....damage around the base of the tins slight perforations ....stained .....and all leaking....some near empty.....Acid attack it looks like to me .
18 November 2014, 23:29,
So I'm guessing you're saying that the contents were acidic enough to corrode the tins from the inside?

Were they all the same brand? Might give an indication of quality tins.....
18 November 2014, 23:37, (This post was last modified: 18 November 2014, 23:45 by Straight Shooter.)
Yes Dev .....all bought at Aldi,s ...their standard brands but ....peas, patato,s , corned beef, carrots, baked beans, spagetti ,red beans, chick peas, mushrooms seem all good.

in the next week or so i am going to empty All tins from All shelves , and check every one and re stack the lot .....bloody job and a half that will be , but must be done......as a side note ....tried some cadburys smash today...it was up 2012....was fine.
19 November 2014, 07:42,
I try to cycle my food stores by having a regular weekly meal which uses some of the stores and buy in regularly in bulk where possible in this way most of my stock is between six and a year old, I find it works well for tinned food stocks not so much for bulk supplies of things like milk powder which tend get left unopened and forgotten about.
19 November 2014, 18:47,
We do this as well T O .....TBH i should be doing more stock rotation....the set up right now is shelf one , current ...2014 shelf two 2015 three 2016 four 2017 ....its worked okay but out of room now , store two is full, built new store and root store.....but got to sort out all existing stores first before i get into number three....and that will be the end of food stocks ....just top ups .
19 November 2014, 18:55,
all our tins are rotated, new to the back, old to the front and used first, that way nothing gets too old and is replaced in order.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 November 2014, 19:08,
Yes BP good sound advice and common sense, the mistake i made was get enough NOW worry about stock rotation later.........and the results have come home to roost, i would imagine most of us who prep go through similar mistakes ....we all learn...or should learn from them.
19 November 2014, 21:11,
(19 November 2014, 19:08)Straight Shooter Wrote: the mistake i made was get enough NOW worry about stock rotation later.........

As I guess most of us do.

My problem with the rotating of tins is that although I now have lots, I really do not eat many tins, so the rotation doesn't really work...
20 November 2014, 10:08,
we only buy stuff in tins we actually eat and buy a few tins each time we go shopping so the store gets increased slowly and dosent cost the earth, we are on a budget-its called a pension.Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.