Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Food Storage Items That Will Last Longer Than Any Apocalypse
20 November 2014, 19:38,
RE: 5 Food Storage Items That Will Last Longer Than Any Apocalypse
I also mark up the items I store with the date that it was bought, in black marker, makes for quicker identification of which is the oldest and first to use, especially if I send the kids out to the store to get something, I can generally tell at a glance if they have just grabbed the first tin of what ever I want that they come to or not. Smile
6 March 2015, 16:51,
A few years back we opened a tinned fruit cake that was over 40 years old and it was as good as new. I would love to know if you can still buy tinned cakes. Does anyone know of a source? Also you used to be able to buy butter in tubes. Has anyone seen that anywhere these days?
Another thing that stores well long term - good wine. I have a few bottles of home made orange wine stashed away that was bottled in 1974. We treat ourselves to a bottle once every few years for special occasions.
6 March 2015, 17:18,
conserva de.....do tinned cakes...I've tried one from a trial pack...was lovely...can't say the same about the rye bread thogh.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
6 March 2015, 17:33,
Have you bought from them Mo? I had a quick look at their website but not sure if they have retailers in the uk.
6 March 2015, 17:39,
(6 March 2015, 16:51)Dorset Lad Wrote: A few years back we opened a tinned fruit cake that was over 40 years old and it was as good as new. I would love to know if you can still buy tinned cakes. Does anyone know of a source? Also you used to be able to buy butter in tubes. Has anyone seen that anywhere these days?
Another thing that stores well long term - good wine. I have a few bottles of home made orange wine stashed away that was bottled in 1974. We treat ourselves to a bottle once every few years for special occasions.

Do these count?

[Image: 360002.jpg?v=1?1425659815290 =1425659815290]

[Image: 71q5zKaVdPL._SX425SX425_SY344_CR,0,0,425..._SH20_.jpg]

These are available in most supermarkets.
6 March 2015, 17:41, (This post was last modified: 6 March 2015, 17:43 by Dorset Lad.)
I have had a closer look and see they have an address in Kent but assume that it is not a retail premises. If they are mail/online order only the postage is going to be expensive for weighy tinned stuff.

They certainly do count (especially with custard) but you can't beat a fruit cake for comfort food and an energy boost.
6 March 2015, 22:10, (This post was last modified: 6 March 2015, 22:11 by Barneyboy.)
got some powdered milk from lidl , had it some time got it when it was in date ,three years out of date now ,gone through too tins now no problems
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
7 March 2015, 16:43,
I've bought a few times from conserva de.... 15 euro flat rate delivery charge , usually arrives with ups parcelervice although I did have a 60 kilo + delivery that was couriered...been happy dealing with them.
27 April 2016, 01:21,
Have you bought from them Mo? I had a quick look at their website but not sure if they have retailers in the uk.
27 April 2016, 03:17,
Yes they have a uk franchise/office in Kent , have bought a few bits from them with no problems.