Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads.
16 November 2013, 18:47,
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads.
I wrote before, but I'll write it again, how a chap I knew made broadheads.

He used a round file to make two grooves in the jaws of a metal vice, they were filed at an angle so that when the vice was closed they formed a cone shaped hole. He made a conical punch to fit approximately into this cone. For the broadhead he cut two triangular pieces of thin sheet steel and clamped them in the vice so that the "point" was at the small end of the cone shaped hole. He hammered the punch down between the two pieces of steel and formed the hole for the shaft, then brazed the halves together before grinding an edge on them. The halves could have been riveted instead of brazed, steel the thickness of a car body panel would be good enough, and easily cut with tin snips.
16 November 2013, 19:13,
RE: Urban 'flint knapping' arrow heads.
(16 November 2013, 18:47)Steve Wrote: I wrote before, but I'll write it again, how a chap I knew made broadheads.

He used a round file to make two grooves in the jaws of a metal vice, they were filed at an angle so that when the vice was closed they formed a cone shaped hole. He made a conical punch to fit approximately into this cone. For the broadhead he cut two triangular pieces of thin sheet steel and clamped them in the vice so that the "point" was at the small end of the cone shaped hole. He hammered the punch down between the two pieces of steel and formed the hole for the shaft, then brazed the halves together before grinding an edge on them. The halves could have been riveted instead of brazed, steel the thickness of a car body panel would be good enough, and easily cut with tin snips.

I think I get what you mean.

Personally I'd just cut the shape of the old fashioned broadheads out of a piece of metal, then grind an edge into that, and attach it in the same way I would attach an old fashioned broadhead.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin