Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mightier than thou
19 November 2013, 01:01,
RE: Mightier than thou
I think people have different interests and aspects to there lives no one can master everything. I'm useless with cars can do the basics but if it moves I turn the radio up and drive it till it stops but my brother inlaw and nephew are mechanics. I'm quite good at trapping stuff so I get asked to clear pests around the place it's about trading skills I think rather than trying to own everything. That's where your group comes into play.
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
20 November 2013, 21:14,
(16 November 2013, 11:58)Tibbs735 Wrote: I am far from being a serious prepper, and my position right now with preparedness is really less than ideal. I am envious of people who have had years of head start on preparedness, whereas I've only had my head in the right place for about 2 years, and I'm only 18. I won't be able to own my own land any time soon. I have no BOL, other than my parents home. My family will likely only wake up when the SHTF. I know I'm lacking in certain areas.
-Food
I have a few months worth of non-perishables, and we have a reasonably food garden, on a corner of a 1/3 of an acres plot.
-Water
Around 80 litres of water, some purification tablets, and around 8 berky filters I have yet to attach to a bucket.
-Security
Little to none; my krav maga club closed and was too far away to be convenient anyway, but there is a KAPAP club that is much closer anyway. I am about 90% done on my SGC though, and I intend to get a Mossberg 590 ASAP. A youth compound bow is also in the post. Most of the family other than my brother have no consideration of anything security related.
-Medical
Some basic first aid training, and a bag of bandages and other stuff, some may be out of date.
-Energy
Some stored AA and AAA batteries and a spare motorycle battery.
-Sanitation
Relatively small amount of TP, a few months of toiletaries and hygiene products
-Heat
Around a cord of firewood, a good axe, and means to burn the woods and cook from it.
-Comms
2 walkie-talkies, other than that, nothing.

Lots of areas to work on then!!

At least your 18! I feel that I am mentally prepared and know what to expect (thanks to you), but atchual material goods/skills.. it isn't looking good. All I have at home is 1-2 months of food and basic metal work skills and basic cadet training ( How to survive in the field and how to clean and use a rifle) and because of my age I can only get certain things.

I'm just terrified that I'm gonna get cut off before i can get the vital skills and materials our family desperately needs :L
20 November 2013, 21:22,
If you have a few months supplies, that will last you long enough to get more. Being afraid or terrified is an emotion and it does not it is the end of the world, it just feels that way.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 November 2013, 02:11,
At least your 18! I feel that I am mentally prepared and know what to expect (thanks to you), but atchual material goods/skills.. it isn't looking good. All I have at home is 1-2 months of food and basic metal work skills and basic cadet training ( How to survive in the field and how to clean and use a rifle) and because of my age I can only get certain things.

I'm just terrified that I'm gonna get cut off before i can get the vital skills and materials our family desperately needs :L
[/quote]

People have been worrying about "THE END" for thousands of years. It was a big thing back in the middle ages. It did happen for some too, but for the greatest percentage of the time, things just bumped along as normal, whatever that was in the period! You already have some very useful skills and now your awareness of "issues" around this subject has evolved, then every day you will become that bit stronger. Don't worry yourself about it, just expand your capabilities slowly as you go and you will be much more confident and sure of your position over time. No one can ever ensure themselves against the future and even the strongest can be swept away from small things - but evolving to stand strong with knowledge and skills behind you will take you into a self assured climate that should help to calm your fears and give you greater confidence in your ability to deal with future disaster scenarios and other day to day problems. Best wishes on your journey Perry, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
23 November 2013, 07:47,
(20 November 2013, 21:14)Perry Wrote:
(16 November 2013, 11:58)Tibbs735 Wrote: I am far from being a serious prepper, and my position right now with preparedness is really less than ideal. I am envious of people who have had years of head start on preparedness, whereas I've only had my head in the right place for about 2 years, and I'm only 18. I won't be able to own my own land any time soon. I have no BOL, other than my parents home. My family will likely only wake up when the SHTF. I know I'm lacking in certain areas.
-Food
I have a few months worth of non-perishables, and we have a reasonably food garden, on a corner of a 1/3 of an acres plot.
-Water
Around 80 litres of water, some purification tablets, and around 8 berky filters I have yet to attach to a bucket.
-Security
Little to none; my krav maga club closed and was too far away to be convenient anyway, but there is a KAPAP club that is much closer anyway. I am about 90% done on my SGC though, and I intend to get a Mossberg 590 ASAP. A youth compound bow is also in the post. Most of the family other than my brother have no consideration of anything security related.
-Medical
Some basic first aid training, and a bag of bandages and other stuff, some may be out of date.
-Energy
Some stored AA and AAA batteries and a spare motorycle battery.
-Sanitation
Relatively small amount of TP, a few months of toiletaries and hygiene products
-Heat
Around a cord of firewood, a good axe, and means to burn the woods and cook from it.
-Comms
2 walkie-talkies, other than that, nothing.

Lots of areas to work on then!!

this is a great book http://gonzoj.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/t...-handbook/

Do me a favour though, if you do download this and find it useful, buy a copy, or at least put it on your xmas list. there is a condensed "pocket" version that'll fit in your bergen nicely, use the "free" download for evaluation purposes Wink
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....