Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
simple home defense.
6 December 2013, 11:50,
RE: simple home defense.
On the punji stake wikipedia page they has a bare field covered in individual, exposed punji stakes. This is getting into the more extreme, total teotwawki, ragnarok is upon us end of things, but imagine combining tanglefoot wire ( random strands of wire stung at between an inch and 2 feet above the ground between stakes, like a messy spider web covering any open ground up to your "castle) with punji stakes. Any attacker would be even more careful, plus if they trip theres the added risk of impalement.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
2 February 2014, 20:10,
A 'mace' made from a tightly (pliers and gloves must(!) be used here, please - playing hero while making one of these makes you a blood donor every 40 seconds, or so) compressed ball of barbed wire will definitely ruin somebody's day!
Sign on my back door: "Dear Burglar: Name anybody who will be looking for you beneath my floorboards!"
2 February 2014, 20:39,
Home defence - use a fire extinguisher.

Punji pits - I'd put them the other side of a wall / fence. Not just PSHTF, but if you live in an area where you may get nocturnal visitors to your garden (I don't mean foxes here folks) and want to teach them a lesson. It's not a punji pit, I dug out the footings for a new wall and never got round to completing it - those metal rods are for reinforcement officer.
2 February 2014, 22:03,
you can get a lot of supprises around my place .....all done in the best possible taste of course !
23 August 2018, 16:18,
Just a thought...in the 9th century, during the viking raids the saxon burhs were mainly defended by the fyrd, a militia lightly armed often just with sharpen hoes and axes etc. only a few had swords or spears.

There was not what could be called a full time army but one could be called upon to fight in large campaign.

A few people, even with improvised weapons will deter a mob, mobs are usually cowards who would rather go elsewhere than risk injury.
23 August 2018, 21:14,
If I remember correctly during the viking raids the disorganized farmers died in droves as the viking warriors swept through killing at will and taking those they did not kill as slaves, taking the prettiest of the women back to the north lands and selling the men in the Arab lands after they had been de-balled and taught their place.

Finally that guy Alfred wound up losing all of the Anglo Saxon lands except for a small fort in a swamp where he hid away while training and equipping a professional army, with swords and spears, and took two decades to win back their lands.

If you are going to plan your preps and defense around history then study that history carefully.

The moral of this story; get a SGC and protect your nuts.
23 August 2018, 23:07,
I have done my homework MB, yes after defeats by several viking armies Alfred was forced to retreat to Altherney in the Somerset marshes.

From there he lead a resistance against the danes until he was stronger, then he called the militias of Wiltshire Somerset and Hampshire to Egberts stone before beating the danes at the battle of Edington. After Guthrums defeat Alfred started to strengthen Wessex.

After this the main reason the danes could not capture Wessex was the burhs or fortified towns, many with old roman walls, the danes would not lay siege to them as they preferred to raid poorly defended settlements. The burhs were defended mainly by the fyrd, leaving the main army to attack any danish war bands. It was Alfred’s grandson Aethelstan who finally defeated the danes decades later.

The point of my post is a property or group of properties, protected by a determined group of people with improvised weapons would have a good chance of detering a mob, that would look for a softer target.
24 August 2018, 16:24,
While my history books do not completely agree with your history books, basically in terms of the efficiency and content of the militia forces used by Alfred and his push to organize a professional army, I must agree that any resistance is better than no resistance.

However, the success of that resistance will be determined by the type and quality of the "improvised weapons", the skill of their use, and the tactics of both defense and offence.

When you get down to sharpened hoes, axes and pitchforks it will always boil down to a battle of numbers.

Even cowards can count.
24 August 2018, 17:20,
(24 August 2018, 16:24)Mortblanc Wrote: ...the success of that resistance will be determined by the type and quality of the "improvised weapons", the skill of their use, and the tactics of both defense and offence. When you get down to sharpened hoes, axes and pitchforks it will always boil down to a battle of numbers.
Even cowards can count.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20...last-pike/

Among the many props that John Brown took with him on an 1857 fund-raising tour across New England was a bowie knife that he allegedly took from a vanquished foe during his “Bleeding Kansas” campaign. While passing through Connecticut, he met with a blacksmith named Charles Blair, who helped him use the knife as a model for a double-edged spear, mounted on a six-foot-long wooden shaft. Brown explained to Blair that such spears, cheap enough to churn out in mass quantities, would be kept by Free State Kansans “in their log cabins” as a last-ditch defense for themselves and their cause.

By the time Blair finished the 950 pikes Brown had ordered, the abolitionist had changed his plan for the crude weaponry. “Give a slave a pike and you make him a man,” Brown explained as he plotted his ill-fated raid on Harpers Ferry, Va., the goal of which was to raise an army of blacks to cripple the institution of slavery.

Brown’s mission at Harpers Ferry failed, of course, and the pikes never made it into the hands of many slaves. But the discovery of the weapons during his capture gave the fearsome looking pikes some degree of threatening celebrity. Edmund Ruffin, one of the most virulent Southern ideologues advocating for secession, acquired several of Brown’s pikes and sent them to the governors of each slave-holding state. He affixed a label to the handles: “Sample of the favors designed for us by our NORTHERN BRETHREN.”

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 August 2018, 23:24,
Among the items i have forged are a seax and some spearheads, i still have three lying around.