Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Pulling the trigger.
27 November 2013, 19:58,
RE: Pulling the trigger.
Looks like everyones opinion differs on this, for what its worth i think more people will find they could than we think, but i still beleive some people may struggle with it. I also think people are going to struggle with the guilt more than some seem to think but as many have said we wont find out until it happens.
27 November 2013, 20:04,
(27 November 2013, 19:58)Danzord Wrote: Looks like everyones opinion differs on this, for what its worth i think more people will find they could than we think, but i still beleive some people may struggle with it. I also think people are going to struggle with the guilt more than some seem to think but as many have said we wont find out until it happens.

I agree with the end part, about the guilt, but history has proven that less can pull the trigger than they think. As the saying goes, history always repeats itself.

So it's for my desire to be in the 15-20% that genuinely can pull the trigger, that I'm learning all I can about it and doing the techniques and learning the lessons of those past.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 November 2013, 20:12,
I agree with the end part, about the guilt, but history has proven that less can pull the trigger than they think. As the saying goes, history always repeats itself.

So it's for my desire to be in the 15-20% that genuinely can pull the trigger, that I'm learning all I can about it and doing the techniques and learning the lessons of those past.
[/quote]

I agree but i think when its your family and not just you in trouble the percentage will be higher, probably not massivly so, but higher than 15%. And yes i agree about learning what i can about it.
27 November 2013, 21:10,
if the threat and the need is real to protect your loved ones you will do it... theres no greater motivation than defending your family...look at the animal kingdom for examples of maternal ferocity.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 November 2013, 21:50,
Staying alive is a pretty big motivator, and yet WW2 has a 15-20% shoot rate.

If someone is shooting at you, that'll cause a huge number of fear responses and the alike. If someone isn't shooting at you, let's go back to the mother and child example I said earlier, that's a whole load of other issues to deal with, not just fear.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 November 2013, 21:57,
(27 November 2013, 21:50)Scythe13 Wrote: Staying alive is a pretty big motivator, and yet WW2 has a 15-20% shoot rate.

If someone is shooting at you, that'll cause a huge number of fear responses and the alike. If someone isn't shooting at you, let's go back to the mother and child example I said earlier, that's a whole load of other issues to deal with, not just fear.

Yeah' I suppose it would depend on the situation as well. I think its going to be a case of trying to prepare mentally as much as physically and hoping that your not put into a situation where you'll need to find out.
28 November 2013, 01:34,
(27 November 2013, 21:50)Scythe13 Wrote: Staying alive is a pretty big motivator, and yet WW2 has a 15-20% shoot rate.

That firing rate improved to 55% in Korea and was 95% in Viet Namn.

That was achieved by the simple expedient of replacing the traditional bullseye target with human shaped targets and using the qualification training as combat conditioning.

In actual combat I always found that the biggest problem was to get the troops to QUIT SHOOTING! Especially when it is close quarters work like jungle fighting or house clearing.