Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simplified wine making
18 May 2019, 17:15,
RE: Simplified wine making
Full bodied not full blooded...………..I did open a bottle of Parsnip in the week to give a taste to some old friends who came a calling......I did try a sip , and found it a bit dry for my taste ……….but a good effort considering the first time using this method for making wine .
28 September 2019, 13:49,
Just started in this field. First batch of red grape wine from juice has been on for just over a week now. I read a few places that the airlock should be left off for first 2-3 days to allow for primary firmentation and just cover the opening with a clean cloth, then add the airlock to allow for secondary fermentation. It is bubbling up through the airlock but has slowed now to about 1 bubble every 5 seconds. it was initially almost 1 a second. I can smell booze Smile
22 November 2019, 17:33,
Bottled up the Damson wine today ……..made 11 bottles , had a taste , I will NOT be giving any of it away ……..its that GOOD ! I will age it for at least a year or two and keep six …...so my daughters can lift a glass should I kick the bucket .
26 November 2019, 14:35,
Sounds wonderful SS. I've been making up a load from 100% fruit juices concentrates, and honey and apple mead, and it's pretty good even though it's not from totally fresh ingredients, although I just put a brew on recently using fresh blueberries mixed with a carton of red grape and prune juice. Must taste fantastic when you use freshly picked fruit like you're doing.
26 November 2019, 18:48,
Picking fresh what ever is obviously the best way to produce anything ….but even picking at the RIGHT time is crucial for the end result, that is what's so great about growing your own produce and having complete control (to a point) the damsons I got just right this year (last year was not so good to early to impatient was I ) …...I have made other wines from packets of frozen fruit from Farm Foods in times past …..not the best but passable , its good to hear your progress LAC …...stick with it …......…..you of course realize this means WAR ! lol .
27 November 2019, 00:53,
Thanks you SS. I will post a few recipes for those of us who don't yet grow our own. That being said, I still find it miles better than the £5 to £6 bottles of plonk from the off licence and it only costs me about £1.30 a litre to produce. And the standard off licence bottles are only 750ml in size. Good thing I'm quite strong willed though as I normally only drink it at the weekends, apart from a glass or two occasionally during the week.

Can I pick your brains for some info? When you bottle up or rack the brew, do you use any additives/preservatives to keep it? I've just been leaving a small gap at the top of the bottle which seems to keep it quite well without the use of any additives. I crack it every few days for the first few weeks just in case the secondary fermentation hasn't completely stopped yet. A few weeks ago I bottled up some mead but noticed it was a bit too dry for my taste, so I backsweetened it with some more honey. Unbeknown to me at the time it started fermenting again in the bottle and one of the bottles spectacularly exploded when sitting on the drinks shelf! Sounded like a gunshot, and poor LAC nearly had a heart attack! You live and learn, you learn and live!
29 November 2019, 15:30,
Using this method LAC the only thing I do different to you is , using some finings to clear on the second racking then bottle up ….as for the bomb ! leave it another week or so …...you will have the anti terrorist squad come calling and haul you off ! ……….I also increased the fruit quantity this time around about 25% more , I also fill the bottles about a good inch below the cork/screw top.