Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invertor?
26 November 2013, 10:20,
Invertor?
First off – sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have been thinking about using car batteries for a power source. I have a very limited grasp of electrics, and need a device that would work as some sort of invertor to a normal mains plug. I’m looking at it as a short term power boost against brown / blackouts.
Does anyone have suggestions on what would work best, or any idea on the best device out there.
Please keep any technical comments to ‘explaining it to a 5 year old’ :/
26 November 2013, 11:35,
RE: Invertor?
(26 November 2013, 10:20)MCavity Wrote: First off – sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have been thinking about using car batteries for a power source. I have a very limited grasp of electrics, and need a device that would work as some sort of invertor to a normal mains plug. I’m looking at it as a short term power boost against brown / blackouts.
Does anyone have suggestions on what would work best, or any idea on the best device out there.
Please keep any technical comments to ‘explaining it to a 5 year old’ :/

Genny mate, £150 will get something that'll keep the lights on and the batteries charged (probably a lot less too if you look around)
Petrol is a damn site cheaper that car batteries, easier to procure, and doesn't need "charging" to make it work.
26 November 2013, 12:28,
Inverted 240v from a 12v battery will run down that battery very rapidly.

Beardy man's right. A petrol powered generator is the easiest and probably the most cost effective solution for common or garden power cuts at the current time.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 November 2013, 14:28,
As BeardyMan said, a generator. Have a look on your local gumtree site, people tend to offload them cheap at this type of year. I picked up a small 850w two-stroke around this time last year for £10. It had stood for a few months so was sold as spares/repairs. Started 3rd or 4th pull of the cord & still works champion even now. Store the petrol with the petrol treatment & it'll be good to go for at least a year. 1 litre of fuel lasts the genny a good couple of hours constant running. I ran my tv, DVD player & a lamp off it in the summer during a power cut & it was as though we had power as normal. Well except no kettle for a cuppa Sad Got that covered now with my new 2.2kw genny Smile
26 November 2013, 15:01,
What are you wanting to power?
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
27 November 2013, 08:15,
I have 2 inverters,

a 150W one that lives in the van constantly, and a 300w one that is going to be hooked up in the van to an aux battery and split charge relay.

150w one runs my laptop comfortably for an hour off the van battery
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
27 November 2013, 09:21,
Another advantage of a split charging circuit is self recovery being able to jump start yourself if the main battery is duff.
Failure is NOT an option
27 November 2013, 09:32,
Don't forget, a generator will make unwelcome noises no matter how quiet you think it is.

You don't want to attract attention to yourself in a SHTF situation.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
27 November 2013, 12:54,
He specified that the emergency power is needed to cover power cuts at the present time. That's why a petrol generator will do..... no need for noise suppression at this stage.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 November 2013, 14:26,
Cool - thanks for all the replys peeps. Looks like i'm Genny hunting !!