Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invertor?
28 November 2013, 17:21,
RE: Invertor?
The way prices are today, in my area, a little 1000w generator is just as cheap as a 1000w inverter, and is much more versatile.
28 November 2013, 19:39,
(27 November 2013, 09:32)Nix Wrote: Don't forget, a generator will make unwelcome noises no matter how quiet you think it is.

You don't want to attract attention to yourself in a SHTF situation.

Yup.

I'd still be using the genny though, it'll charge those batteries up much quicker than solar / hydro etc.
29 November 2013, 10:10,
On a decent day, a good solar setup will be just as good as any generator. When I made my comment, it was taking into consideration that once you are known to have a generator, anyone who wants one, post SHTF, will know where to find one.

I would only use a generator as a very last resort, personally, due to the noise. They are brilliant at giving you energy whenever you want it, regardless of sunlight or weather conditions but there's far more mechanical and fuel issues to consider as opposed to a passive solar set up.

At the end of the day, the generator will win hands down in some scenarios, the solar in others and wind turbines in others yet.

I guess the best thing to do is to cover all bases and have more than one set up, aye?
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
29 November 2013, 12:05,
(29 November 2013, 10:10)Nix Wrote: I guess the best thing to do is to cover all bases and have more than one set up, aye?

Yes, indeed.

Wind & solar should provide energy between them on most days, and something else for backup.

I'd love a good solar set up, but to get what I want it's restrictively expensive (according to the wife) - most of that being the battery bank.