Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
survival food or camping food?
5 December 2013, 10:44,
RE: survival food or camping food?
(1 December 2013, 22:55)Mortblanc Wrote: I like to forage for fresh foods so I always stop off at the KFC drive through on the way to camp.

so KFC is now considered FRESH food is it?Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 December 2013, 17:12,
(5 December 2013, 10:44)bigpaul Wrote:
(1 December 2013, 22:55)Mortblanc Wrote: I like to forage for fresh foods so I always stop off at the KFC drive through on the way to camp.

Apparently yes, since the definition of a word is based on need to move product and/or make a point.

We have a sandwich shop over here called "Subway" and their key add phrase is "made fresh daily", and all their products are shipped in form thousands of miles away, frozen into little bundles. They have pale sliced tomatoes that have never seen real soil and piles of shredded lettuce when no lettuce has been seen in my garden for weeks. Even their omelets come precooked.

We also have folk that call themselves preppers when all they have is two cans of beans in the pantry, a 2 liter bottle of water hidden in the toilet tank, a camo shirt and a backpack stuffed full of toilet rolls.
5 December 2013, 17:43,
(5 December 2013, 17:12)Mortblanc Wrote:
(5 December 2013, 10:44)bigpaul Wrote:

Apparently yes, since the definition of a word is based on need to move product and/or make a point.

We have a sandwich shop over here called "Subway" and their key add phrase is "made fresh daily", and all their products are shipped in form thousands of miles away, frozen into little bundles. They have pale sliced tomatoes that have never seen real soil and piles of shredded lettuce when no lettuce has been seen in my garden for weeks. Even their omelets come precooked.
yes, I know what you mean, we have people here selling what is supposed to be a "sausage Roll" but its nothing more than paste out of a bucket.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 December 2013, 11:13,
One tip I picked up and have used, is to make a "pot cosy". Ideally, get hold of some foil-faced closed cell foam, or even cut up an old rollmat, and fashion a container with a lid just the right size for your cooking pot. When heating dehydrated meals on camp, bring the pot to the boil on the stove, then put it in the pot cosy. The food will continue to simmer and absorb the water.

The benefits are:
1 - Save fuel, and therefore weight
2 - If you eat the food straight from the pan, it keeps warm much longer, whereas food can go cold before you have finished eating it without such a device.
6 December 2013, 11:53,
I made some meal replacement, "trail mix" by mixing in equal quantities peanut butter, skimmed milk powder, honey and oats, before leaving it to set in the fridge. I'm considering taking this to supplemnt some ration meals, as it does not need cooking at all and is very calorie dense.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
6 December 2013, 13:34,
Over here "trail mix" is always dry.

We have one form called "Gorp" which is usually home made and is my favorite. Generally it is equal parts M&M chocolate, raisins and peanuts, sometimes with a handful of shelled sunflower seeds thrown in. It can also include small bits of beef jerky, candied citrus or chunk chocolate.

It keeps well in a zip lock bag on the trail and makes good snack food in camp or anywhere else as long as you are not in intense heat.

I must admit that I can not be anywhere around the stuff since it creates symptoms of an impulsive eating disorder and I can not stop until the container is empty.

Over the years I have come to equate some of my "survival foods" as standard and favorite camp fare. Besides the gorp there is my home made beef jerky, hard tack made with honey, salt cured ham and bacon, parched corn and all the things one can do in camp with corn meal.

One of my favorite quick trail meals is to fry up a couple of slices of bacon, then split and core an apple and fry it in the bacon grease. While that is cooking up I mix up a "jonny cake" and fry it in the remaining grease after the apple is done. Sometimes I slice the corncake and eat the bacon as a sandwich, and sometimes I have the apples on top of the corncake with the bacon on the side. Just as often I eat one thing while the other is still cooking wipe out my frypan at the end and I am on my way.

We also use some tricks from out past, such as "no cake" which is not a cake but parched corn crushed and mixed with brown sugar. It can be eaten raw or mixed with water as an energy drink, or made into a dough and fried as bread. It also makes a good addition to thicken soups and stews if the pickings are sparse.

All in all I do not really have a separate division of foods called "survival foods" which are different from my regular camp food, or that I consider "second rate pickings" just because they might be used in an extreme situation.

Well, perhaps the canned chili or beef stew I keep in the vehicle kits. But that is eaten only under extreme duress while trapped in the vehicle under a snow bank after rolling down a cliff face!
6 December 2013, 22:53,
Then, there's always Pemmican! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican