Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navigation by night
3 December 2013, 19:50,
RE: Navigation by night
moving at night-without making any noise or showing a light or not being seen- is quite a skill and is not going to be easy for the ordinary "man in the street", post shtf sound will carry a long distance and at night it will be noticed more so. in the countryside there are lots of obstacles and debris, in a city many, many hiding places for "undesireables"-who knows what or WHO is lurking around the next corner? bad enough in the daytime but at night doubly so.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 December 2013, 20:58,
As a soldier were were taught that when sensibly possible to move by night and lay up by day to avoid detection, but that was before the advent of FLIRS and PIRs, however I still prefer to move at night. That BTW is when your nose and ears work much better than your eyes. At night human eyes detect MOVEMENT better than shape. I find it easier to lay up during the day and the scope the area before moving on after dusk, thats also why I always say my max bug out speed at best is only a couple of miles an hour with lots of stops to listen and wait.

3 December 2013, 21:18,
That was the military doctrine in my time too but your not travelling with other soldiers now they don't know any of the contact drills...if you get bumped in the dark it'll go to ratshit with civvies....if you blunder towards somebodies bivvy area in the dark they will more than likely come out fighting.....I would move about after dark in small groups on specific tasks on my own turf but only with people with the right skills.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 December 2013, 09:53,
if I was bugging out I'd go before dawn and hide up during the day then move again at dusk, if I'm on home turf then I know the woods and places where someone is liable to be holed up and can take avoiding action.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.