• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most UK panels face wrong way
2 December 2013, 11:09,
Most UK panels face wrong way
Thought this was interesting and worthy of getting other opinions

http://smartertrends.co.uk/articles/2013...node/66125

2 December 2013, 11:41,
RE: Most UK panels face wrong way
This is why we test things but wind turbines, solar panels and similar items seem to be rolled out without much in the way of thought or testing.

2% isn't worth the effort in moving them if they are in place for small installations though.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 December 2013, 11:52,
Apparently it's bumf.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomkonrad/20...wrong-way/
2 December 2013, 12:31,
The whole point of the article, at a quick glance, appears to be that the west pointing panels are better for the grid cos they are producing energy later in the day when folk are at home more as opposed to earlier in the day when demand is lower.

The fact still remains that south facing panels produce more energy than west facing panels overall.

It doesn't really take a rocket scientist to work that one out... Rolleyes
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
2 December 2013, 12:36,
my roof faces 280* west north west ....any point in me having an array?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
2 December 2013, 13:07,
(2 December 2013, 11:09)NorthernRaider Wrote: Thought this was interesting and worthy of getting other opinions

http://smartertrends.co.uk/articles/2013...node/66125

hello NRSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
2 December 2013, 13:29,
most housing in the UK was not built with solar panel placement in mind and more due to the landscape and fitting as many house in per estate. Also we have a lot of old housing stock that pre dates most modern technology for example my terraced house was build in the early 1900's and we have not any south facing roof (it faces east)
2 December 2013, 20:55,
(2 December 2013, 13:29)I-K-E Wrote: most housing in the UK was not built with solar panel placement in mind and more due to the landscape and fitting as many house in per estate. Also we have a lot of old housing stock that pre dates most modern technology for example my terraced house was build in the early 1900's and we have not any south facing roof (it faces east)

Same here mate. That's why I hope to make my own panels soon and sit them on the garden fence facing south. That'll help charge up the batteries to keep thing charged through the year.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 December 2013, 21:00,
Well we think we do alright, our panels face south west,... I agree with the written piece, if your house faces south then the sun rises and sets over your gable ends, so you dont get the best results,... with ours facing south west, we miss out on the rising sun, which is a weaker sun,... but catch every ray from then on till sun set
A major part of survival is invisibility.