Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wood arrows & compound bows
8 December 2013, 21:38,
wood arrows & compound bows
ok so i was in a local pet shop a couple of days ago when i noticed they had a cheap compound bow set for sale which i was just thinking could be ideal for a bit of a mess around with but i was in a rush and didnt get all the details.

anyway what im wanting to know is, are wood arrows a complete no no with compound bows? just im sure ive seen somewhere that wood arrows can fracture when used with compound bows?
Winter is coming
8 December 2013, 21:50,
RE: wood arrows & compound bows
(8 December 2013, 21:38)Hex Wrote: ok so i was in a local pet shop a couple of days ago when i noticed they had a cheap compound bow set for sale which i was just thinking could be ideal for a bit of a mess around with but i was in a rush and didnt get all the details.

anyway what im wanting to know is, are wood arrows a complete no no with compound bows? just im sure ive seen somewhere that wood arrows can fracture when used with compound bows?

pm TA TA horde ,hes the man to ask about bows and such
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 December 2013, 22:16,
(8 December 2013, 21:50)Barneyboy Wrote:
(8 December 2013, 21:38)Hex Wrote: ok so i was in a local pet shop a couple of days ago when i noticed they had a cheap compound bow set for sale which i was just thinking could be ideal for a bit of a mess around with but i was in a rush and didnt get all the details.

pm TA TA horde ,hes the man to ask about bows and such

Personaly I would rather you asked on public forum, I am sure there are other who would like to know the answer to that,... I for one
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 December 2013, 22:47,
good point HL , i have just text him and im sure he will post it as well pal,for me its all of them as long as the have a good sharp end .but wood arrows in a compound just make sure that the arrows are hard wood
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
9 December 2013, 05:43,
Almost everywhere will tell you that wooden arrows from a compound are dangerous.And a compound places more stress on the arrow.I disagree.For me the compound with it's let off should place less stress on the arrow than a traditional bow.The compound bows acts the opposite and will accelerate slower at first than a traditional bow.Then after the cams kick it it accelerates faster than a traditional bow.

For me this means a smoother loose and less stress on the arrow.I've experimented with wooden arrows in an old Barnett Legend compound,and also very extensively in a modern recurve crossbow.I've never had a broken shaft yet.You could go a bit higher in spine to be safe as the archers paradox is less of a concern with a centre shot bow,which also means less stress on the shaft compared to a traditional Longbow.

I'm looking forward to Tartare's view on the subject and he may well disagree with me,but i believe only using Aluminium or Carbon Fibre in modern bows (be it compound or recurve) is a myth generated by modern arrow companies.
9 December 2013, 07:06,
traditional long war bows had a draw weight of up to 180lb, 80lb more than the large game compound bows @( god only knows how they drew them!) so I would assume that they would generate much more pressure on the arrow than a 100lb compound bow, yet the only arrows used with war bows are traditionally wood.
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
9 December 2013, 09:55,
I used home made wooden arrows for years with a compound and never had one shatter. I used a higher spine than the arrows for my recurve though.
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
9 December 2013, 10:55,
I have heard people say that wooden arrows shatter in a compound, I even heard of one guy where the arrow went through the palm of his hand! I dislike compounds myself, too many bells and whistles to go wrong and where do you get the parts to fix it post collapse??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 December 2013, 13:06,
Yeah I agree bigpaul - I have two bows now. A longbow and a one piece recurve. All arrows are home made wood. Back to basics, no sights etc on the recurve, just bare bow.
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
9 December 2013, 13:40,
One can not compare and make assumptions about arrows fired from historical war bows and those fired from modern hunting/target bows. They are not the same. Be careful with any data put to you!
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"