Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1kw wind turbine project
11 December 2013, 09:11,
RE: 1kw wind turbine project
Morning Nix,... yes, you have the first part right,.. as for the dump load, this is exactly how we have been thinking, at the moment the dump is into the hot water, but after your post regarding having two dumps we are now thinking to have a second that heats the conservatory,...I am thinking that it could be as simple as a Caravan heater

Just one more comments, this turbine is designed so that it doesn't over speed, when it gets to a certain speed [ and I cant remember what it is ], it `furls` away from the wind and slows itself down,...lol, ok `Furls` is the word they use, and it has something to do with the tail fin, it is a hinged affair not ridged,..I have watched it, and as gusts hit it, the tail suddenly twists and the whole turbine turns out of the wind and slows down, this lasts just for a few seconds, and then turns back into the wind

I have just found the paperwork, and it says,.. Quote...It has a tailfin which because it is offset will turn the turbine out of the wind automatically, thus protecting it from over-revving, it will start to furl at a wind speed of 13.5 meters a second, The blades continue to rotate even in the highest winds which means that you are still generating...un-quote
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 December 2013, 12:40,
Ok, the furling will hopefully keep things in order.

How are you heating the hot water via the dump? 24v coil or through the back up inverter? What wattage are you using?
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
11 December 2013, 17:06,
Your doing some great projects HL keep the post coming. Great work mate.
Failure is NOT an option
11 December 2013, 20:34,
(11 December 2013, 12:40)Nix Wrote: Ok, the furling will hopefully keep things in order.

How are you heating the hot water via the dump? 24v coil or through the back up inverter? What wattage are you using?

...at the moment we are heating the water via a 48v heating element into the immersion tank,.. the whole system is 48v,... but liking the idea of heating the conservatory the more I think about it,.. as you implied, its a far saver bet
11 December 2013, 22:57,
Nice one, sounds a great little system you've got there! Cool
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
18 December 2013, 20:30,
HL, this is the first I've seen of your post - I haven't been on much lately. The last I saw of the project was a concrete base I think but it's a doozy now it's done, innit? You and Bracken must be over the moon with it!

I have read something recently about wind turbines creating a sound that's below the level of human hearing (it's been in our local paper because they're building an experimental one about 200 mtrs tall near where I live,) and I was wondering if your dogs were showing any sign of hearing anything like that?

18 December 2013, 22:00,
(18 December 2013, 20:30)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: HL, this is the first I've seen of your post - I haven't been on much lately. The last I saw of the project was a concrete base I think but it's a doozy now it's done, innit? You and Bracken must be over the moon with it!

I have read something recently about wind turbines creating a sound that's below the level of human hearing (it's been in our local paper because they're building an experimental one about 200 mtrs tall near where I live,) and I was wondering if your dogs were showing any sign of hearing anything like that?

Hi GG,... the sound of this one is above hearing,....i.e we can hear it, but we could easily sit outside next to it and not be bothered by it,...it is a very slight sound, even when going full pelt.

I haven't been that close to a large one, but from what I hear you wouldn't want one in your back garden,... there is a 5 kw turbine at a customers place that I see most days, and that must be like living on a heli pad, a continuous wooosh,..wooosh,...wooosh

It was the one factor that we couldn't really plan for when we got ours, its ok being told its quiet, but quiet to one person isn't so quiet to another,... so we were pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the noise from ours is
25 January 2014, 21:53,
Damn good thread.