Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making
13 December 2013, 13:15,
Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making
good day all. the following link is for a free book download called "Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making" Its very old and the copyright expired long ago.

I've been wanting new ideas for bird traps, and there's an entire section of just that, 20 pages when I printed it. If you have any interest in trapping check it out! BTW: many consider trapping the most effective/efficient hunting technique.

I've done some trapping and I find this book extremely useful and practical. Not the same old wire snares and figure 4 traps.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17093/170...tm#page_65
13 December 2013, 14:10,
RE: Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making
Fine entertainment but do keep in mind that this book was written by a person that had probably never seen the North American wilderness from his home in London more than 125 years ago.

Part of the contents never was, part never will be again and some is pure fantasy.

His work with mice and rats is admirable though. He knows his stuff in that area.
13 December 2013, 14:26, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2013, 14:27 by bigpaul.)
QUERY :OLD BOOK?? according to Amazon this book was only released in February 2013!! unless somebody can PROVE this is a reprint .

and even if it is....isn't the INFO of more importance than the date of the book?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 December 2013, 02:04,
First copyright was 1881. Many of the references are specifically dated to 1873.

Many of the species they recommend hunting are now extinct, on the brink of extinction, or are now protected species. Others do not exist in the areas mentioned and never did.

It has some very good entertainment and nostalgic value as a type of outdoor writing from a bygone era, and some of the camp-craft is still valid and timeless, but it is not the woodcraft, kit or technology of today.

You do not live over here and do not understand the situation.
14 December 2013, 12:57,
I found the trapping info useful. If you had done any trapping, you'd know that a trap catches lots of things you may not have intended. For example, I had a trap set for racoon, but caught 3 black birds and later an iguana. Same logic is why I dont like steel traps; too easy to catch children or house pets and cause permanent injury. Many of the traps can be easily assembled with materials around the house. Animals nature and how to catch them hasnt changed in the last 100 years. In a survival situation I could forsee the need to catch some wild game and having experience trapping rabbit, squirrel, ducks, racoon, etc may come in very handy.Squirrel aint much, but it is better than nothing and makes a good supplement to just plain rice or oatmeal. In my area there are more birds than anything else, so I am particularly interested in ways of catching them without using my firearms.

This information may not be useful to you,having 5 retreats and all the supplies needed to last forever, but thats not a reason to put it down. Very bad form old boy, constantly posting on a UK forum how inferior you think they are in regards to everything. Ever think maybe thats why there is much anti-US sentiment? BTW: as BP alluded to, I'm born and raised American. Difference is that I have enormous respect and admiration for the UK and its people. IMO, in the long view of history the so called American period will be seen as a continuation of the British empire due to the similarities in government, law and language.

Peace
14 December 2013, 13:14,
I enjoyed the trapping info, it's not too original for me, but looking at the copyright date, my knowledge may have been siphoned from this book originally haha. Not sure I'll be catching many racoons or other American animals, but much of what's there is pretty cool to know and transferable too.

Thank you for posting mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 December 2013, 14:57,
(14 December 2013, 13:14)Scythe13 Wrote: Thank you for posting mate.

same here, thanks Rush.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 December 2013, 09:54,
(14 December 2013, 19:46)Highlander Wrote: I have printed it and will try a few of them out sometime

Let us know how they work out. Would be interesting to get some first hand feedback. The wife being a veggie won't let me trap :-(
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 December 2013, 10:59,
I think we are done here.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin