Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding to existing flock
16 December 2013, 16:57,
Adding to existing flock
I've three Warrens now and I'm thinking of adding a couple more chicks.

Is it OK to just add some or do I need to add little chicks or what. Naturally they add all the time but I can't afford for fights so was wondering what was the best way to add some more to minimise fuss.

I may add a dufferent type. Not sure yet.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 December 2013, 17:29, (This post was last modified: 16 December 2013, 17:31 by TOF.)
RE: Adding to existing flock
If you added little chicks without a mum to defend them, it would probably result in a massacre. If you want to buy in some chicks, you will have to keep them separate until they are at the teenager size. The best thing is to put the new ones in some temporary accommodation next to your existing flock so that they can get to know each other first. You could always get some point of lay birds, but with such a small number of birds it's still wise to keep them separate while they get acquainted. Unfortunately whatever you do there will be scuffles as the new birds are assimilated into the flock.

(16 December 2013, 17:29)TOF Wrote: If you added little chicks without a mum to defend them, it would probably result in a massacre. If you want to buy in some chicks, you will have to keep them separate until they are at the teenager size. The best thing is to put the new ones in some temporary accommodation next to your existing flock so that they can get to know each other first. You could always get some point of lay birds, but with such a small number of birds it's still wise to keep them separate while they get acquainted. Unfortunately whatever you do there will be scuffles as the new birds are assimilated into the flock.

Varieties don't really matter, however one of the Warrens I had was racist! she hated Black Birds.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
16 December 2013, 20:55,
I put young ones in housing inside the hen house that they cannot get out of / others cannot get in once they are fully feathered. Leave them in for about a week before I let them mingle. As long as the older ones have plenty of food, and the young ones have a nook or cranny they can hide in, they do OK.

The older ones will try and attack them if they are bored and the young ones are in the vicinity, but the young ones do learn to get out of the way pretty sharp.

The only really issue you might have is if you want to feed the young grower pellets and the older ones layers - the older ones will eat other food before they eat their own - that is the only reason I would keep them apart, but I let mine be together, never had problems with them not staying on growers until they are fully grown.

I have one Welsummer hen and she is miserable, she attacks anything that is smaller than her and is not fond of me despite me hatching her in an incubator and her living in the house for the first several weeks of her life.
17 December 2013, 13:02,
Wait until spring. Adding chicks will be less fuss when the weather breaks.

I hatched a clutch last spring and the 4 birds from that clutch still comprise a separate flock within the group and they are nearing 8 months old. The older birds will chase them off the food and take the best roosting spots. The young birds are still second class citizens.

I was forced to keep them in separate pens until they were 6-8 weeks because the rooster would try to kill them. He finallu went nuts and I had to get rid of him.
17 December 2013, 15:13,
This question is aimed at our American members, I am aware that you can eat Raccoon, but can you farm them? or is the meat not good to eat on a long term basis, or is it that these animals can't be farmed?
17 December 2013, 16:52,
(17 December 2013, 15:13)Tartar Horde Wrote: This question is aimed at our American members, I am aware that you can eat Raccoon, but can you farm them? or is the meat not good to eat on a long term basis, or is it that these animals can't be farmed?

Creat a new thread for this please.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 December 2013, 08:46,
(17 December 2013, 16:52)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(17 December 2013, 15:13)Tartar Horde Wrote: This question is aimed at our American members, I am aware that you can eat Raccoon, but can you farm them? or is the meat not good to eat on a long term basis, or is it that these animals can't be farmed?

Creat a new thread for this please.

I will flip this over to the food production section.

Check there under raccoons for food.