Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does weight effect your EDC choice?
21 December 2013, 11:38,
Does weight effect your EDC choice?
For your EDC, do you look at certain knives and the alike, and thing the weight is too much for EDC, or do you just carry whatever?

Got the wife a knife (amongst other things) for Christmas. Her comment of "I hope it's not a heavy one." got me thinking.

I realised that I have a load of knives that I don't carry as EDC, not because of the size of the blade, but because of the weight of it. The weight can misshape pockets, bounce in cargo pockets, and the alike.

With my EDC I just carried what was able to be concealed easily and felt natural. I have a load of knives (ask anyone who knows me) and only my wife's comment made me realise the reason I favour certain options.

Previously, I don't take X knife because it drags loose pockets down and makes it clear I'm carrying a knife. Y knife bounces in my side pocket, but only goes in there because it would drag other pockets. Z knife feels odd in certain trouser pockets, and concealment is thus an issue.

The option of my favoured knives, by accident, seems to be not based on size, but more on weight (this is where some idiot says big knives weigh more than small knives, and tries to make themselves sound intelligent...epic fail there Einstein). Why not look at the material it's made from? Titanium can be big and light. What is the frame made from? How thick is the blade/handle? Is the frame milled out? How many layers in the folder's handle? And many other questions/answers why big knives do not always mean heavy knifes.

So, as it turns out, I opt to wear lighter knives most days.

Does anyone else find the same thing, or do they opt for their EDC knife on a different criteria?

Please note, I only keep knives that are capable, so please assume that any knife I have as an option for EDC is definitely capable of doing what I require of them.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 December 2013, 11:42, (This post was last modified: 21 December 2013, 11:44 by bigpaul.)
RE: Does weight effect your EDC choice?
I carry a lock knife in a leather pouch on my belt at all times, no weight at all, don't even realise its there most of the time, pouch is covered by clothing so no trouble with the rozzers-although actually seeing one around here would be an event in itself!Big Grin

being of a "certain" age I've ALWAYS carried a knife- at one time everybody carried a "pocket" knife.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 December 2013, 17:14,
I don't bother so much about weight unless the item is particularly heavy. I don't carry much though. I'm rarely far from my car.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 December 2013, 17:58,
don't really carry much in the way of edc....key ring has a small mini tool , torch and a micro memory stick....selection of kit in the boot and my locker at work.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 December 2013, 19:28, (This post was last modified: 21 December 2013, 19:46 by Mortblanc.)
My EDC is quite different from yours while being basically the same, just a few additions/deletions due to my situation. Weight is of the greatest concern and has a lot to do with my choices. There are certain items I would prefer to carry but they stay in the gun safe or in the knife drawer due to their weight.

I am retired and do not have work restrictions to ignore, and ignore them I did! I do not carry a fag bag around my waist with half ton of useless crap in case SHTF when I am mowing the garden or working around the house.

The only EDC item that is with me from daylight to dark is a Case pen knife. This would be legal carry in GB. I do not skimp on this knife since it is a long term 24/7 item. I have carried a pen knife since I was a toddler and I know exactly what I want from one; round bolsters so it will not wear holes in my pockets, high quality steel, size of no more than 2.5cm, at least two blades, large and small.

It is show with my keychain, which I pick up every time I walk toward the automobile. The keychain is step two of the system. SAK Classic, whistle w/waterproof container (contains heart meds and small ferro rod w/cotton ball) compass for rough orientation, carabineer.

When the keys go in the pocket they are usually accompanied by two other items, the wallet and money clip. The wallet contains a survival card w/ferro rod attached, my ID and other permits and such. Never any money in the wallet, it just carries cards and info.

EDC similarity between us ends at this point.

There is also a money clip made by Gerber that is in my pocket on every trim away from home. Got to have your pocket money! In addition to being a money clip it is also a lock-blade knife with replaceable blade. It flicks open with one hand for giving a nasty surprise if a mugger reaches for the money while his eyes are on my face. I do not think you are allowed to have those.

Two additional items are part of my EDC; a Keltec PF9 and a Gerber lock-blade knife w/4 inch blade. I am licensed and permitted to carry both. No, I have not shot anyone lately, but the day is not over.

[Image: Picture271_zpsb5efedd4.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1181_zpsff32ee20.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1180_zpsb6f5b995.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1179_zps3aa6eef6.jpg]

Like some others here, the good stuff, the heavy stuff, stays in the vehicle. The last time I was more than 1/4 mile away from my car was during a flight across country a few years back. I could stay alive indefinitely using the EDC gear from either of my vehicles.

The vehicles contain long term survival items as well as the BOB, which for me is simply a device to get me home. I already live where everyone else wants to bug out too.
3 January 2014, 16:22,
I change my edc knife regularly, normally down to what I fancy taking with me that day.

I always have an opinel on me, then I'll accompany this with either my gerber assisted opener, a svord peasant / svord peasant mini, a tiny fixed blade knife, or boker gnome. If I'm in a suit then it'll be my ceramic blade with carbon fibre scales.

Weight doesn't really come into it for me. Phone, wallet and keys combined weigh more than 90% of my edc knives. Couple of extra grams here or there goes unnoticed.
4 January 2014, 11:23,
My TBS boar "EDC" knife is a serving me well, i've battoned sticks with it, chopped up plastic using a hammer.

15 theraputic minutes on the bench stone and its good to go again!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....