Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price of the Blade
11 January 2014, 20:39,
RE: Price of the Blade
Are you guys allowed the Opinels with lock ring?
11 January 2014, 21:06,
All mine are but I think only the smallest with the lockring is a legal carry (no 7 I think)
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
11 January 2014, 23:35,
(11 January 2014, 20:39)Mortblanc Wrote: Are you guys allowed the Opinels with lock ring?

Yes,.. providing you can give a reasonable reason for carrying it
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 January 2014, 03:44,
How large a fixed blade is allowed to be carried in the person, not in the city, but in the case of a farmer or gamekeeper on land which he is working?

I am spoiled here, as an honorably discharged veteran, having no trouble getting a concealed carry permit, which takes about 30 days, and costs $50 for the FBI fingerprint check, and is good for 5 years.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
12 January 2014, 04:07,
CCW covers EVERYTHING over here, firearms, knives, flick knives, brass knuckles...

Makes our EDC completely different.
12 January 2014, 06:07,
All those things mentioned are illegal to carry except the knife and that has to be a folder and no bigger than a 3 inch blade...in the course of your work/leisure activities such as hunting / farming / fishing you may have with you a bigger fixed blade knife but you should put it away when you stop the activity , say for instance you were out hunting and you had a knife with a 5 inch blade in a scabbard on your belt and after you had finished you stopped in the shop for some supplies you could be prosecuted for having that knife about your person!....suck's doesn't it?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
12 January 2014, 11:54,
(12 January 2014, 03:44)CharlesHarris Wrote: How large a fixed blade is allowed to be carried in the person, not in the city, but in the case of a farmer or gamekeeper on land which he is working?

No limit, you can carry an axe or a machete around all day on private land you're working on, but walk into a public place with anything more than a 3" non-locking folder and you need a good reason, like you just bought it or are on the way to a job to use it.

I recently did a side-by-side comparison of some of my knives whilst butchering 5 very large ewes. I used a stainless Morakniv, carbon Frosts Mora, SOG skinner, Kyocera ceramic carver, Global cromova18 carver.

The stainless Morakniv was a useful size for skinning and the fine point was useful but it needed sharpening regularly. The carbon Mora was the same, just a little sharper.

The SOG sninner has a very useful gut hook which I used on each animal, and the more curved end of the blade was good for running down between the flesh and skin because I couldn't get the skin to separate by hand. If anything it was a little too sharp, and it went through the skin on several occasions where the Moras didn't. It held the edge quite well too.

The Kyocera, like all ceramic knives I've used, starts off not a sharp as the best steel knife, but just doesn't blunt at all. Too fragile to use for boning out.

The Global was a revelation, I've owned a set for a couple of years so know how sharp they are. After a lot of kitchen use I gave it a quick sharpen on the Sharpmaker before I started. I used it to carve and dice nearly 500kg of meat, and it was still razor sharp afterwards. The only problem is that the grip gets slippery when cutting loads of fatty meat, if it had the handle off the SOG it would be great. I had to wear gloves for safety.

Now, if I can find a "bushcraft" style knife made from the Globals Cromova18 steel I'll consider it.
12 January 2014, 12:03,
every few years the Police have a knife amnesty and anyone can bring in a knife and deposit in a bin no questions asked, some of the pictures are amazing, anything from a tiny swiss army type knife up to machete's, swords and axe's!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 January 2014, 13:23,
I agree that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a good functional knife, Opinel being the obvious benchmark, and as Midnitemo says they can take a lot of abuse and are cheap enough to replace. That being said there is something satisfying that goes beyond functionality that makes finer knives a joy to use, and their superior construction generally means they will last a lifetime if looked after and used correctly.
My all time favourite blade is the Kukri, and I carry a MKII Tora blades when in the field. It can be used in all but the finest work and a good one will last a lifetime. The only other blade I carry is a BUCK assisted opening lock knife with a skeleton handle. This knife is well made and holds a fine edge and has a lifetime gaurantee. As I am on private land it doesn't matter what I carry, I could take a sword if I wanted to. Everywhere else I don't carry any type of blade at all as it's not worth the hassle.
12 January 2014, 14:35,
Steve is right, there is no limit,.. but it all hinges on the reason that its being carried... if a knife is carried for no other reason that you want a blade, then it has to be a folding blade of no more than 3 inches [ I think ]

If you are camping for instance, then you can carry a fixed blade in a scabbard, but would be required to remove it and pack it away before you enter the pub

A butcher for instance could [ and they often do ] carry a whole set of fixed blade knifes, but he has to be going to, or from his work

The same goes for any blade, knife, axe or machete

So,.. its all down to the reason you give and the mood of the officer that stops you
A major part of survival is invisibility.