Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The thin veil of "civilised" society
7 January 2014, 14:04,
RE: The thin veil of "civilised" society
I've met a few of my nearish neighbours of this site and there thoroughly nice guys but i wouldn't want them to know where i live or i them just incase one of us became so desperate that we started to covet there/my preps...i can say hand on heart i'm honourable ,decent , caring and law abiding and under normal circumstances i'd never consider taking anything by force but i've never had the extreme motivation that teotwaki or a serious shtf situation may call for.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 January 2014, 14:05, (This post was last modified: 7 January 2014, 14:54 by bigpaul.)
"rebuilding society" would come a LONG way down the road.

I have met 4 of my nearest neighbours on this site and 2 "not so near" and I can safely say I THINK I could work with them ALL Post SHTF, but I cant say the same about my next door neighbours, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, that's the difference between preppers and sheeple.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 January 2014, 16:26,
A veil is exactly what it is. A covering that suits us to wear at this time. When it changes we can take it off in an instant.

We in the UK are a polite bunch and this has worked out to our disadvantage over the last 20 years where politicians and other scum have taken advantage of our good nature to build a society that they want. We don't an the veil hides our true feelings. It won't be long before it is torn off.

We will still be the same people so most of us will still be decent towards our fellow man even without the veil but that won't cover those who are about to wrong us or who have wronged us in the past. Nor, of course, will it cover those that are not even civilised now.

We will be careful but there will be little tolerance for those that misbehave.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 January 2014, 17:47,
Sounds like something I have heard before!!!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
7 January 2014, 18:53,
Mort, an interesting quote, but I can think of a better one applicable to the "thin veil of civilized society", namely "an armed society is a polite society".

Or perhaps "God made all men. Sam Colt made them equal."
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
7 January 2014, 23:29,
You and your family are not going to take on a platoon of police or military with state-of-the-art automatic weapons and the best body armor you cannot buy protected by armed personnel carriers and attack helicopters unless you choose to die that day — for nothing. You will either be in the country or out, and if you are in, you will stay in and you will comply. Ask the Irish how that worked out.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
8 January 2014, 10:36,
It is all about attrition. Every day in the US people take on these people and die as you say but every now and again one of the platoon dies and there is a lot less of them.

No matter how well armoured and armed they are with enough of us they come down.

The Irish seem to have done well. IRA commanders in parliament. Look at Che and Mandela who are now seen as saints. Terror does work.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 January 2014, 10:47,
CH we don't have the troop numbers that the USA has, TPTB keep making soldiers redundant and amalgamating regiments, at the moment I believe we have less than 90,000 in all, not much to police a population of over 60 million!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 January 2014, 19:08,
Actually BP, the British do not have the nature for rebellion. Those small "ineffective armies" have always been able to put down any local insurrection with very little trouble. When was the last time you had a real smack down on the Big Island?

A 100,000 man army and a sudden conscription and arming of the local police forces could easily manage the reduced population your demanded die off would provide.

And the military, as small as it might seem, would be better situated to survive the "die off" than the general population. They would quickly secure their areas, live off stockpiled supplies and operate out of those secure bases to control the population and collect resources.

What you should watch out for among the general population id the influx of Romanian, Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian and mid eastern immigrants that still remember how to fight a guerilla war and consider the British population less than a threat.
8 January 2014, 21:30,
Indeed Mort, that is the reality. It would never be 60 million against 100,000. It would be a well organised military force against a disorganised ill equipped few. The rest would be somewhere else either starving or running. Hope you are somewhere else at the time too! :-)

This country as any other is ruled by the sword in one hand and the balance weights of your "dues" in the other. The much sanctified "Pen" is what draws the veil of civility over the real equation of power. That is "fundamentalism" for you. lol, TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"