Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo in preparation for availability long range CB radio equipm
12 January 2014, 09:40,
RE: Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo in preparation for availability long range CB radio equipm
Yes indeed, CB, even SSB capable gear , if chosen correctly will be less complex and therefore more simple to operate than the UV5rs

I am waiting to see the final wording of the revised licensing conditions. I predict that it will remain as is, but with the inclusion of the channel frequency, transmission mode and maximum power stipulations used in other EU member states.

Expectation is that the most simple equipment to operate ( and maybe the only legally compliant equipment) will be radios specifically designed and manufactured to operate ONLY on the EU/UK compliant channels. Radios like the Anytone 5555 will PROBABLY meet the channel frequency, power and mode requirements, but they do a whole lot more as well, and they do so in an even more confusing way than do the UV5rs. By purchasing a radio that only meets the EU/UK specifications, the whole operating process will be simplified, by the removal of a huge number of channel and programming options. Those options would be great for a techie, but would get in the way of those of us who need a simple but effective communications tool.

By the way, UV5rs are still a great communications tool and for the cost are pretty much unbeatable for ultra portable all-in-one hand held devices. An SSB capable CB is far less portable and with only a few exceptions is not a hand held device. It needs power supplies, external antennas ( 10x larger than those used on UV5r) feed lines and set up equipment ( SWR meters)

When time permits, I've promised SD to do a face to face teach-in on how to use and program UV5r's at some future SUK camping event. Only thing is that there are complications in my life that make this difficult to arrange. But for sure we'll get around to it eventually.....or maybe one of you guys who'd already gotten to grips with their UV5r can step up to do this?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

12 January 2014, 14:47,
RE: Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo in preparation for availability long range CB radio equipm
Well my Sharp SSB/AM40 channel 12w is ready and waiting...lol
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 January 2014, 14:10,
So what's the best SSB HAM/CB rig one can purchase for under £150?

I presume I'm going to need a different aerial? Would I be better off with a 10 meter rig instead? Or can I get one that will do the whole she-bang?
This would be vehicle mounted (for me anyway) but it doesn't need to have any specific dimensions, so as long as it would run from the power socket in the car that'd be grand.

Don't ask for much me Wink
14 January 2014, 19:34,
BeardyMan, you'd be better getting your ham license and having solid communications. This CB change will allow you to cover most of your needs and probably be a whole lot cheaper too.

I would think that the 12 watt SSB AM CB would be much better than the 2 meter FM hand-helds for a number of reasons, the primary reason being that you're not dependent on someone else's repeater system working. I would also expect that "aftermarket" SSB AM CB antennas will hit the stores about 30 seconds after the new radios do. Your antenna in an AM SSB QRP mode will have to be good, but on 12 watts you should be able to transmit from the top to the bottom of the UK and back. There's a lot of "shake out" to come as procedures must be allowed to evolve or be developed, and I'm not a big fan of the 10-12 meter bands where I presume your CB frequencies are located, but these rigs should do the job for most preppers in the UK.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
15 January 2014, 08:42,
RE: Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo
Beardy,

Nothing yet available as new and potentially UK compliant for under £150.

So far we do not have the final wording of the license conditions. Until we have that, any purchase will be speculative.

Antennas: My personal expectation is that the SSB allowance will be on exactly the same channel frequencies as the current CEPT channels already available on UK FM CB. Antennas are frequency dependent, not mode dependent. So if you have antennas that tune up on the existing CEPT channels, they will be good for SSB mode on those channels as well.

Looking at what's currently available, and accepting the seller's marketing bullshit, it seems likely that radios like the Midland 8001 will be compliant. By the looks of it, this is an excellent radio. But best wait for the final license conditions to avoid making an expensive mistake.

Looking at Jona's reply, I'd expect the AM allowance to be severely power restricted. I seem to remember it being proposed to be just 1w, but maybe I'm mistaken. 4w will continue though.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

15 January 2014, 09:29,
Thanks guys.

I'm not bothered about compliance to any rules, I may up my £150 to something more realistic now I've had another look on the fleabay.

I mention the 10m set ups as when I did have my CB in the car I could pick up 2 people talking and they were on 10m rigs. They'd come through on a couple of cb channels, and I could hear them from just outside Southampton to the A34.

But, SSB sounds like it should cover most of my needs to be honest.

Then I just need a home based rig to go with it Smile
15 January 2014, 09:46,
In which case BM any of the US spec rigs will work as the primary 40ch will match the CEPT channels. One with FM mode as well as AM ( USA standard) and SSB, will allow communication with CEPT channelled FM CBs already in use.

That Midland I pointed you at still looks very good though.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

15 January 2014, 10:36,
Cheers LS Smile

Well that looks like a nice bit of kit, and the price isn't as high as I was expecting. Hhhmmmmmm, maybe that'll go on my birthday list instead of my tattoo.
15 January 2014, 14:09,
If you change your mind you will have to post pictures!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

15 January 2014, 18:15,
Lightspeed, just for my information, could you please post the channels and frequencies of the UK CBs if they differ from US specs..

If the SSB operations are restricted to 4 watts, the right antenna will still allow you all to get a lot of range, but the way I've been reading the story here and there is that you all will be able to transmit 12 watts SSB, which would, depending on band conditions, pretty much give anyone enough range to cover the whole country, and Ireland as well.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!